Air Buttons

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
I'm getting really impacient up here in WI, my spa is under a foot of snow and all my pipes are also covered in snow, sitting on the ground cuz I'm not done. :x As much as I LOVE snowblowing I hate having unfinished projects like this.

So, once more, I post a thread asking for help. This time about the air buttons used to control pumps and such.

Here's my issue... My Spa is approx. 35 ft(by pipe run) from the equipment. Air buttons control the light, both pumps, and the air blower. I had to remove the stock control panel from my spa because the wires(indicator lights and temp control) weren't long enough. I now have an unsightly hole there and I'd like to mount the 4 air buttons in this space.

The issue is, this means the air buttons will have a 35 ft. run of pipe(1/8" clear plastic) between them and the equip. They aren't designed to be this far away and subsequently, I'm not sure if they will still have sufficient pressure to actuate the switches. They seen to work ok with a 6ft run(longest piece I have now) I think the tubing will be able to expand and absorb any pressure the buttons will create.
Will this actually happen???? If yes, how can I combat it? do they make special buttons for long distance runs?

Thanks,
Adam

Depending on the actual control system (or spa pack), you should be able to get up to a 50' run with air tubing. The deeper the "throw" of the air button, the more air you can push. As a starter, check out pages 207 and thereabouts at Spa Parts Plus. IIntermatic also has some good air buttons in their RD4 Series, built for up to 75'runs. 'll edit in a moment for more multi-hole setups for you.

I always just order generic 1/8" ID air tubing from the distributor. Can't get your other image to load so I'm not sure of the difference, but with the standard cheap stuff people can get over a decade of service. Sometimes lines dry rot, but usually the ones I have to replace are chewed up by animals.

This is the website's description of the tubing: "Rigid airtubing for installation between airbutton and airswitch.
3mm outside diameter, also supplied with 2 x 3mm ID couplers to suit button and switch at both ends of the tubing
Very small bore tubing to allow more force over longer distances."

Here's their pic. I uploaded it through photoucket this time.
websiteproductphotos152014.jpg

If I can use the regular vinyl stuff, the good news is if I can get it cheap at ACE Hardware. I hope animals won't be a problem because I plan to run the four air lines through the 3/4" PVC that will also contain the wires for the Spa Light. If they won't fit in there then I'd like to run them through the 2" PVC air line for the blower(unless that's going to cause a problem?).

Thanks,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.