Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Draining into Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Draining into Pool

This is my first pool. I have a Pentair Easy Touch Pool and Spa Controller. I don't have the remote controller, so I have use the Easy Touch Pool and Spa Controller from the Load Center. I was attempting to turn on the water features. I think I put the Spa system into drain. The spa completely drained into the main pool. I turned the system off because I didn't want the pumps to be running with the spa empty. The electrical company that installed the system or the pool service company will not be able to come for a week. Is there any problem with leaving the pool pumps/filter off for a week?

How do I return the system back to normal operation? I did not receive any user manual or instructions for the system when I brought the house.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Draining into Pool

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you leave the pumps off for a week your pool will probably turn green. Have you tried refilling the spa with a hose and just running the pumps?

This manual may help.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have Pentair. Have you tried calling Pentair customer service? They may be able to talk you through it.
    23,000 gallon salt water pool and spa/waterfall, plaster, built in 2013. Jandy PDA, Aquapure, Jandy 2HP variable speed pumps, Jandy Legacy 400 heater, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Jandy Laminar Jets, Polaris cleaner,Watercolors LED lighting

4. Back To Top    #4

I have pretty much the same set up and that is only possible if the Load Center is in service mode. If everything is installed right. I do it to clean the bottom of the spa. Change the mode button to auto or time-out.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Look at the panel that you pushed buttons on to cause this. We are looking for lights that are on. Specifically either "spa" or "spa drain". Also you will have either a "auto" or a "service" light on. Go check, i'll wait

*Elevator music plays*
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Sounds like you hit the "valve" button on the system. If you press it you have the following options, Pool/Spa/Fill (Spillway)/Drain). Select the Fill option to put water back in the spa.

Valves (V) - (Pool/Spa/Fill (Spillway)/Drain) button: When in normal operating mode, the
    Valves (V) button is in “Pool” mode. In this mode the valves are automatically rotated so that
    only the pool water is circulated through the system and the filter pump is activated. Pressing this
    button once enables “Spa” mode and activates the filter pump to circulate only spa water
    through the system. “Fill/Spillway” and “Drain” mode can only be used while in “Service” mode
    (See Mode button for details). “Fill/Spillway” and “Drain” mode are used when cleaning the spa.
    Pressing the Valves (V) button again returns the system to “Pool” mode. Note that the filter
    pump will switch off while the pool/spa valves are rotating into position. The current operating
    mode is shown in the LCD display.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the help. The pool service company did come out. The problem was a bad valve actuator that would not allow the spa to refill. He temporary took the valve off automatic while we wait for a new part. It is frustrating to have something go wrong and not to know how to repair it. I received no written instructions. manuals, etc for this pool. Nothing is labeled. I was punching every button in the panel not knowing what the button did. No matter what I did the spa kept draining. Refilled the spa twice with a garden hose. Finally ended up with too much water in the pool. Took 4 hours to drain the extra water out of the pool; that is a lot of wasted water. The builder had a company come out for "pool school" which was no more than a hour sales presentation to get me to sign up for their monthly pool service; again no literature was left. When something happens out of the ordinary, I have no idea what to do accept to call a service company. Thanks again everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Thanks for all the help. The pool service company did come out. The problem was a bad valve actuator that would not allow the spa to refill. He temporary took the valve off automatic while we wait for a new part. It is frustrating to have something go wrong and not to know how to repair it. I received no written instructions. manuals, etc for this pool. Nothing is labeled. I was punching every button in the panel not knowing what the button did. No matter what I did the spa kept draining. Refilled the spa twice with a garden hose. Finally ended up with too much water in the pool. Took 4 hours to drain the extra water out of the pool; that is a lot of wasted water. The builder had a company come out for "pool school" which was no more than a hour sales presentation to get me to sign up for their monthly pool service; again no literature was left. When something happens out of the ordinary, I have no idea what to do accept to call a service company. Thanks again everyone.
    You can download instruction manuals at this link:

http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...systems-49.htm

Also, you should consider the ScreenLogic interface for your EasyTouch. A much better solution for remote control than the other EasyTouch remotes.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.