Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: crystal clear pool water has suddenly turned cloudy.

1. Back To Top    #1

crystal clear pool water has suddenly turned cloudy.

First let me list my test results from this morning.

FC = 5.0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 100
    CH = 100
    CYA = ~42

The water has been very clear since pool opening on 5/4/15. The test levels have been consistently around where they are now. Yesterday I noticed the water was starting to get a little cloudy but I could see the liner pattern detail clearly on the deep end at 8 ft. The water level in the pool had been above the skimmer for about 2 weeks at that point due to the excessive rain we have had. I had been cleaning the water surface with the leaf skimmer net since the water was not getting skimmed the normal way due to the high water level. Yesterday I backwashed to lower the pool level to below the skimmer so the water is now getting filtered by the skimmer and drain lines and I left the pump running on low all night. I thought that might clear up the slightly cloudy water but this morning the cloudy water condition is much worse. I can bearly see my bottom drains. Does anyone have any ideas why I have this cloudy water?

Thanks,
    Dave.
    Dave
    18x36 ~25k gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Super pump VS (IS2600VSP), Hayward sand filter S244T, Hayward CL200 auto chlorine feeder, Zodiac G3 cleaner, Pool install July 2014, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: crystal clear pool water has suddenly turned cloudy.

I forgot to mention that my CC =0.5
    Dave
    18x36 ~25k gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Super pump VS (IS2600VSP), Hayward sand filter S244T, Hayward CL200 auto chlorine feeder, Zodiac G3 cleaner, Pool install July 2014, TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wellllllllll......good guess is that it took at least 2 weeks of NON-filtering off the top to get that way and will take a little longer to clear than usual. Keep skimming/filtering. Your FC is gettin' a tad towards minimum for your CYA level as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed, boost the FC to the top of the range and hold it there for a few days.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Does anyone have any ideas why I have this cloudy water?
    Yes. You need to SLAM your pool. At some point your FC numbers got too low and SLAMming the pool is the correct way to get your water back to crystal clear.

On a separate note
    Yesterday I backwashed to lower the pool level to below the skimmer
    I assume you meant back to normal skimmer level and not below the skimmer
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Woody, smykowski and I are really all saying the same thing. Elevate your chlorine. I am suggesting you go all the way to a SLAM as it sounds like your pool is pretty darn cloudy....not just a little bit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I would raise it to slam level and do an oclt. Also do you have skimmer socks? They really help me filter the water.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I just got up since I work a 12 hour night shift. Thanks to all for the response. Because of my work schedule I can't do an OCLT until Sunday night but I can bring my chlorine level up. I just can't stay up all day testing and adding bleach. I have about three hours to tend to the pool on workdays/nights. With a CYA about 40 and FC = 5.0 I'm right at target according to the CYA/chlorine chart so I was surprised to hear that some thought I was a little low.

That brings me to another question I have always had. How high can the FC level be in PPM and still be a safe level to swim in. I have read elsewhere that 1 -3 ppm is the safe FC level to swim in. I know the CYA/chlorine chart does not follow that thinking but is there a maximum level of chlorine for safe swimming. As I'm typing this two of my Grand kids just came over to go swimming. Is the pool safe to swim in as far as the cloudy issue is concerned and how about if I get the pool up to shock level of 16?

Thanks for all the help.
    Dave.
    Dave

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know with regard to water quality if the pool is safe to swim in, but one big concern with cloudiness is being able to see swimmers underwater if there is an accident/emergency.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

10. Back To Top    #10

I just checked the FC level again and it is at 7.5 and the CC =0 or at most 0.5. This is up from a level of 5.0 this morning because I got up briefly from my nap about three hours ago and added 121 oz of 8.25% bleach. I also should memtion that on sunny days like today we get sun all day long. I can add more bleach before I go to work in a couple hours but is FC = 7.5 safe to swin in?
    Dave

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The pool is safe to swim in up to SLAM level for your CYA, provided you can see the bottom. At that level, it may fade bathing suits a bit, but is otherwise safe.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

12. Back To Top    #12

It is cloudy but we would be able to see swimmers even in the deep end.
    Dave