Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquabot Left Out in the Rain. Won't move

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquabot Left Out in the Rain. Won't move

Hi. I accidentially l eft my Aquabot Turbo-T out in the rain. The fuse blew and I replaced it. The fuses still have a tendency to blow, but usually it can stay on to start. But now when I start the unit it moves very slowly or not at all. Also the fan doesn't seem to be spinning very fast or even at all sometimes. I checked the voltage and it fluctuates between 36v and 0v AC. Is the voltage supposed to be constant or is it supposed to fluctuate on and off? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquabot Left Out in the Rain. Won't move

Since the robot is designed to be submerged I don't see how rain would have affected it, unless you left the power supply out and it got water intrusion. If that's the case then you should have removed the cover and dried it out completely before plugging it back in.

You can still try drying it out, but there may be damage to the internals now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The power supply was left out. I allowed it to dry thoroughly before plugging it in again. It will usually turn on OK, but once I turn the rover on the fuse will blow. Also, the power fluctuates up to 40v, not 36v as I said earlier. Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd take the cover off and dry it out as best you can. Once those things get wet inside it's pretty hard for them to dry out without removing the cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I will try it. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

So I aired it out with a blower on it for 2 days. Now when the power supply will turn on, but blows immediately when it tries to start the cleaner. So I bought a used PS on eBay. The same exact thing happens. So apparantly the cleaner is blowing the fuse to the power supply. Any suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7

Does it blow the fuse if the cleaner isn't hooked to the PS? If not then you should take the cleaner apart and check it. Or send it to have it repaired.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I found the following information on the troubleshooting page here

MOST COMMON AQUABOT TROUBLESHOOTING PROBLEMS 1) Power cord has a broken wire between motor and handle clamp.
    2) Broken or loose drive belt(s). Worn wheel, stepped rollers and drive gear bushings will cause a loose belt. Always replace bushings and rollers with the belts.
    3) Plug end is worn or broken.
    4) On older Aquabots, water in the terminal well corrodes the wires on both the cord and pump causing breakage.
    5) Bad timer in power supply causing no or erratic operation.
    NEVER buy a new pump BEFORE inspecting the wire ends on the old pump for breakage
    Test all wires with a continuity test. It is easy to do and must be done with the robot and transformer UNplugged.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

So in my haste, ignorance, and machoness, I took the pump apart instead of removing it from the unit. Of course oil spilled all over the place. That being said, it smells very electrical. Like a burnt motor. All wires are sealed. Nothing is exposed. I took off the motor to see if I can get in to the box to check the wiring. Everything is sealed up. It looks like the box has a large white screw cap. I don't want to mess with it without talking to you guys first since I already messed up the pump.

I think I have some compressor oil to fill the pump up. I read that is good for it. One question though, should the pump be completely full? Like submerging it in oil? or just the motor end? Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... Now I am thinking that the fact that I left it out in the rain was coincidental. I believe the pump or motor to be bad and that is what is blowing my fuses. The fuse does not blow until I start the robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think you're right about it being coincidental. I'm not sure about the oil so we'll wait for someone familiar with that to come along.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator