Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to change filter cartridge w/out water loss?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to change filter cartridge w/out water loss?

Hello, I have a question. I have an Intex pool 16x42 with a 2500 filter. Is there a way to change the filter cartridge without loosing water? I always seem to loose so much even when the pump is off. I know there are plunger valves but I can't find any reasonably priced ones at the moment. Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to change filter cartridge w/out water loss?

Quote Originally Posted by PoolMama79 View Post
    Hello, I have a question. I have an Intex pool 16x42 with a 2500 filter. Is there a way to change the filter cartridge without loosing water? I always seem to loose so much even when the pump is off. I know there are plunger valves but I can't find any reasonably priced ones at the moment. Thanks in advance
    This might not be any help but my Intex came with three of the stoppers for each hos . How long ago did you get yours?
    24ftx50in 13,500 gal Summer Escapes AG, stock one speed pump w/ cartridge filters

3. Back To Top    #3

I got our pool last year. We may have gotten stoppers with it but I am not sure where they would be now. Can you buy new ones? I cut bigger holes in the pool for the new filter. If I find the old stoppers would they work? Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Old stoppers wouldn't work. A couple of tennis balls would. Downside is that you would have to unscrew the in-the-pool cover to use. just don't forget they are in there when you go to restart your pump.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

plug up the returns and drain...and then I would get some ball valves from home depot and install them while you have the system isolated. in the future you can just close the valves and clean the filter, then re-open. shouldn't take long to install some valves
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Lift the pump onto a chair or table above the water level before you unscrew the top. You'll never lose a drop.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

Some people have even used a potato they cut down to fit. That will work until you get the valves on!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit