Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I hate pools

1. Back To Top    #1

I hate pools

New here and am hoping to learn enough to make me hate pools just a little less. Based on all the recommendations my first step was to order a TF100 XL with a Speedstir, this was completed today. With this kit I should be able to know a little more about our water as compared to the $9 test kit from the LPSS.

For some background, when I was 12, 1984, we had a family meeting. The choice was motorcycles / 3wheelers or a pool. Us three kids voted motorcycles, mom voted pool, we got a pool. As the oldest I got the opportunity to take care of a 20x40 gunite pool for the next 6 years, it was miserable. Not automatic cleaner, daily skims, twice week'y brushes, I hated it.

Fast forward to 2003. A family of my own and the wife and 4 kids talk me into a pool. Figured if we got an above ground pool (something I could dispose of) and an automatic cleaner (Tiger Shark) how bad could it be? Well the hatred was still there. One thing I hate is the cost of all the chemicals, every year, every month. Every time you go to the LPSS it is $40 to $400. So now I am looking for a better way, which brought me here.

There seems to be lots of reading to do and I know I need to put my equipment in my sig.

Look forward to my test kit and getting started on just a better way to care for the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I hate pools

Welcome to TFP!!!

You have certainly made a huge step in the right direction by finding us and ordering a test kit already
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a shame you got voted down on the motorcycle when you were younger. Hopefully you've delved into that also by now. Welcome to TFP. Looks like you are already on the correct path. Once you get everything lined out the costs are minimal. There is no free lunch, so it will still cost something to have the pool, but not nearly the amount you are used to.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

$400 at the pool store? That would keep my pool open for a whole year!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Once you learn that Leslies Pool Store is in the business of selling you stuff, you'll recognize that you probably didn't need half of it. Return anything unopened if you can.
    Then start reading Pool School up at the top right while waiting on your test kit to come. Hopefully the holiday weekend won't delay it too much?
    Take some tests on your tap water, for a baseline. If your water is like mine, its very soft. For a vinyl pool such as yours you don't have to worry much about calcium.

Tell us how your water looks, and what the test results are, and we'll help you out with any questions you might have. A pic of your pool is always appreciated
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! Reading your story brought back some memories of being outvoted on things as a child so let's hope your time here can help change some things for the better. Now that you're the dad, maybe you can put the kids to helping with pool chores, if old enough, and you can learn to love your pool.
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to learning to take care of the pool instead of letting the pool store direct. I am certain I will get better, cheaper, easier results.

Hopefully the test kit will be here tomorrow and I can get started.

8. Back To Top    #8

As richard320 alluded to, once you get your pool water in shape, you'll find a few of bottles of bleach will take care of your chlorination needs. cost is very low compared to pool store junk.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

Every time you go to the LPSS it is $40 to $400
    Congrats to you for getting out in front of things and ordering a good test kit from the start. This will put you way ahead of others who can't/don't/won't spend around $70 on a good test kit but will merrily spend hundreds of $ for needless chemicals every time they visit a pool store.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

welcome I was lost but found this site and now finding my way without LPSS.
    19000 gal black/grey pebble IG pool with Spa & 2 waterfalls, cartridge filter, 2 speed pump for water fall/skimmers, variable speed pump for filters, air-rator, gas heater, Omni-logic box link to internet (everything is Hayward).

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat-Tim View Post
    welcome I was lost but found this site and now finding my way without LPSS.
    There's a fairly steep learning curve, but once you get the pool dialed in and get used to testing and your pool's personality, it's super easy. Daily pool care will become about as difficult and time consuming as brushing your teeth.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    ...Daily pool care will become about as difficult and time consuming as brushing your teeth.
    love this quote!

22x40 mountain lake design, 24,800 Gallon, vinyl IGP. Pentair Intellipro XF 3 HP variable speed pump, STA-RITE S7MD60 Modular DE Filter, Aqua Comfort Electric Heat Pump. TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

After a year of TFP you will have enough money to buy your kids a motorcycle.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir