Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, pool is going crazy. Nothing works.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, pool is going crazy. Nothing works.

Hi guys,

I have Jandy equipment with a Zodiac Aqualink remote. Today when I turned on the remote, it wouldn't connect to the system. It just stays stuck at the waiting screen. Then 20 minutes ago the pool switched to spa mode, the spa turned on by itself! I went to the control station and none of the buttons were responding. I called my pool guy and he said to put it into service mode and he'll stop by tomorrow. Also, this past Sunday and Monday, the spa turned on by itself around 1am. The first night it was just the spa light, then the next night the jets were on. I can tell because I have security cameras and I checked the footage.

Since I trust the experts here at TFP, what do you guys think could be going on?

I don't have any programs that would turn on the spa by itself. Only the pool filter is programed to go on daily. I changed the batteries in the remote but that didn't help.

Below is a picture of my remote and control station, the control station picture is before the spa turned on by itself.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, pool is going crazy. Nothing works.

I'm sorry, most of us can't answer these questions unless we have those systems. Perhaps someone with one can point you in the right direction. I have pentair, and it can be equally frustrating I promise.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Iissues like this usually indicate that the control board in the system is going and needs to be replaced. If you decide to replace it, pay attention to the existing board you have. There are two different boards, one with a large ship port and one with the smaller one.

Also just as an FYI, the system you have is older and you should weigh the cost of replacing the board versus replacing the entire system with something newer that would carry you forward for a long time.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Iissues like this usually indicate that the control board in the system is going and needs to be replaced. If you decide to replace it, pay attention to the existing board you have. There are two different boards, one with a large ship port and one with the smaller one.

Also just as an FYI, the system you have is older and you should weigh the cost of replacing the board versus replacing the entire system with something newer that would carry you forward for a long time.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting you say this is an older system. My pool was built 6 months ago.

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be the PB had this one on hand from a reno he recently did. Talk to him, and find out where he got it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

PB should fix or replace that under warranty.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not thinking that is an older Jandy. The PDA in your picture is the new PDA.

Did you leave the PDA out in the rain? Did it fall into the pool? If it did or you think it did open it up and bury it in rice for a couple of days --- that may solve the problem.

If your pool is six months old the Jandy equipment is still under warranty -- so call the PB and have one of their service techs come out and figure out what is wrong. Then if u need a new mother board its on them.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I'm not thinking that is an older Jandy. The PDA in your picture is the new PDA.

Did you leave the PDA out in the rain? Did it fall into the pool? If it did or you think it did open it up and bury it in rice for a couple of days --- that may solve the problem.

If your pool is six months old the Jandy equipment is still under warranty -- so call the PB and have one of their service techs come out and figure out what is wrong. Then if u need a new mother board its on them.
    Thanks for the info ya'll. The PDA lives in the house, it never became wet, etc. It has to be something else, why would the pool functions turn on vy themselves?

How can I tell the age of the system, is there a date on the control station?

The guy who installed the equipment is coming out today, lets see what he says.

9. Back To Top    #9

Check age with serial number

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

10. Back To Top    #10

You should see some breakers below the control interface. Have you shut down the power to the system and restarted it? If not do that first. You have the newer system as evidenced by your PDA. If you installed all Jandy equipment you should have a three year warranty.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

I would just leave batteries out of the remote altogether, to eliminate the chance it's sending wackadoo commands.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    You should see some breakers below the control interface. Have you shut down the power to the system and restarted it? If not do that first. You have the newer system as evidenced by your PDA. If you installed all Jandy equipment you should have a three year warranty.
    Yes, I tried that last night. The pool guy should be here today, so let's see what he has to say.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    Thanks for the info. Interesting you say this is an older system. My pool was built 6 months ago.
    I clicked on your picture for a closer look. I made the mistake thinking it was an older unit. Didn't know the pool was built 6 months ago. That does make a difference. It would still be under warranty if it is new.

Some PB's don't do warranty work so you might have to go direct to Jandy or the PB should get them involved.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

14. Back To Top    #14

Update: Pool guy came tonight, he reset the system. Everything works good now. He suspects that the electronic circuit board might be overheating, it's been 100F + here for a couple of weeks. I'll look into building some sort of cover for the control system.

15. Back To Top    #15

Update 2: 30 minutes after he left, the PDA stopped working again. Now, the pool just shut off, supposed to shut off at 11pm. Guess I'll be calling him again tomorrow.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

The PDA being damaged will cause phantom running of any of the items it is programed for. Also, do you have a spa remote? They can do the same thing also.

17. Back To Top    #17

Well the pool magically works today. The pool guy will come back on Monday. I tried calling Jandy today but they were closed; will call again Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

The PDA was never dropped and I don't have a separate spa remote.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm now betting on a bad motherboard in either the control center or the remote.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Easy way to determine if it's the remote is to shut the remote off.
    Paul

20. Back To Top    #20

+1 on yanking the remote batteries. If the system shuts down during operation with the remote out of the mix, then it may be the motherboard.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast