Tagelus/Pac-Fab TA-60 handle positions?

Jan 22, 2009
Central Florida
Have an older Tagelus TA-60, installed about 15 years ago. It's been sitting up, and MAY need to be replaced - but first, I wanted to attempt to clean it, give it a little TLC, replace the sand/sight glass/pressure gauge/O-ring, check the laterals, etc. In order to test it out, though, I need to know what the handle positions are - the sticker with text is so faded it can't be read anymore. The Owner's Manual, which I have in .pdf format, surprisingly doesn't have a diagram. Can anyone lend a hand with this?

Thanks!

Spishex, maybe the OP can at least read one of the labels to get a bearing, but if not, would you mind posting where 12:00 is? I.E. is it the position with the indent directly over the Backwash port, etc.

I'm sure that info would be helpful as well.

Adam

You can purchase a valve label for that multiport - 27-2599 is the Pentair part number. Now if you have to replace the valve, you will have to determine if it is a clamp on style, and if the date of manufacture was before or after 12/01/1991. If it was before, you will have "V-threads" on your tank, and you must match the valve with those. If after that date, the treads are "buttress type". They DO NOT MIX. Pentair does make adapters, but you need to check out:THIS PAGE.

launboy said:
Spishex, maybe the OP can at least read one of the labels to get a bearing, but if not, would you mind posting where 12:00 is? I.E. is it the position with the indent directly over the Backwash port, etc.

I'm sure that info would be helpful as well.

Adam

I believe filter is the position closest to the pressure gauge.

I have a Tagelus TA-50 filter and the sticker is half off (thus my search in this forum). Looking down on the regulator, with the pressure gauge at 12:00 and the water inlet at 6:00 I have these readings: 1-Filter, 9-Recirculate, 11-Rinse. Thus all the readings (to agree with the previous poster) would be:
1-Filter
1-3 is the "Winterize" ledge or open position
3-Waste
5-Closed
6-Backwash
9-Recirculate
9-11 "Notch"
11-Rinse

I had the same trouble...I bought a house with a pool and the sticker was partially missing. Unfortunately for me I read some wrong info off the internet (hard to believe right?) and I just discovered yesterday after 3 weeks of running my system 24/7 (and changing the sand) trying to clear up the water that I've had mine on recirculate!!! I went to vacuum yesterday to try once again to clear up the pool and was reading the Tagelus pdf manual and discovered I should have a "Filter" setting.
:hammer:

I color coded the valve so that everyone in my family can figure it out.

Gauge - 12:00
Red - Filter (1:00)
Green - Waste (3:00)
Yellow - Closed (5:00)
Tan - Backwash (7:00)
Silver - Recirculate (9:00)
White - Rinse (11:00)

filterf.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Sand filter is a Pentair Tagelus sand filter Ta 35d can you tell me where in relation to your diagram that your pool is sitting, and where your pump is sitting. I also inherited my system, someone else took multiport top off and I am not sure it was put back right and as far as your diagram, I am not sure my pressure gauge is in the same place as the one on your filter. not sure if my top is like anyones so I am including a diagram of my set up of filter and pump in relationship to my pool and eachother as well as a close up diagram of the top of my sand filter showing how my top looks and where my labels say the settings are at... I am asking for help in identifying if the top is in the correct position, that my order is correct in relationship to pump, hoses, filter pool etc... please see the file below and offer any help or siggestions. thank you all sooooo much for all your help, it has made a world of difference

[attachment=0:1g9990aj]pool-valve-settings.jpg[/attachment:1g9990aj]

Attachments

• pool-valve-settings.jpg
    pool-valve-settings.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 59
If you look at my pic above your post:
9 o'clock position is the input flow from the pump (to the left) of where standing to take the picture.
12 o'clock is the gauge.
3 o'clock is the backwash output.
6 o'clock in the return to the pool.

My equipment pad is 10' feet from my pool which is in-ground, so the relation of the system wont help you. I wish I could help you more and tell you which way the valve top fits your model.

Swamp Thing said:
If you look at my pic above your post:
9 o'clock position is the input flow from the pump (to the left) of where standing to take the picture.
12 o'clock is the gauge.
3 o'clock is the backwash output.
6 o'clock in the return to the pool.

My equipment pad is 10' feet from my pool which is in-ground, so the relation of the system wont help you. I wish I could help you more and tell you which way the valve top fits your model.[/quote
what I meant about in relation to your pool is what side does your pool feed to your pump if you are standing in a particular /named place and where does your outflow back into your pool in relation to that same position. that would help me as no matter what model it should have and input to pump and filter and an outflow from filter to pool as well as a backwash, the filter itself should only have three hose opening for inflow, outflow and backwash and my question is if standing in a specific place could you tell me which one of those points flows to your pool and if that pipes runs to your left, to your right that thing, but seriously thanks so much for all your help and for responding it all helps no matter what

OH MY GOSH, Thank you , thank you thank you for your picture and diagram... this is what I needed. I have been suspected for while now, that either my ex husband turned something on the pump, or that the people who we inherited the system from had something set up wrong... this picture tells me what I needed to know... I dont think it is the label or the very top that is wrong, I believe the ex, before leaving went removed the top and turned the lower portion of the filter top, putting everything back together so as nothing would look different and would be noticed. Looking at everything from everyone else and more importantly everything from you, Mr Swamp thing. It seems that is the problem.... a filter set up properly, new sand with a good pump and all gaskets replaced, as well O-rings should not have a problem filtering an 8600 gallon pool especially after 4 or 5 day of running... and even more so running a slam process with high free chlorine levels like I have.... now all I can hope for is lining everything up that there hasnt been damaged to the sand filtration system.. I dont know what I would have done without Mr Swamp thing and everyone else on Trouble Free Pools, how awesome is this site and the people on it !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.