Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool coping....acceptable????

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool coping....acceptable????

Hello experts. They started installing the coping yesterday and this evening I took a closer look at some of the pieces and this is what I found. Is this typical or pieces that I need to request be replaced?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool coping....acceptable????

If they are supposed to be a rough cut look, then it looks fine. If they aren't, then it looks like ****, and should be replaced. Depends on what look you are going for.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

From your first picture, the ones on the left have a clean cut. So, looks like you didn't order a rough cut edge. I would demand that the PB replace all the ones that are not right. They may argue by saying that this is 'natural variance' or something like that. But, unless they subtract the defective ones from the total square footage, I would get them replaced.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like the ones in your pictures were cut with the wrong type of blade or a very dull blade. They should all have the same finish on the edges and you have some that don't. I think it would not look good to have a few pavers with an edge chewed up like that but most are aren't.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

The vast majority of them do not look like that which I guess is why it caught my eye. Most have clean cut edges. Here is my favorite tile out of the lot.

[IMG][/IMG]
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely have them replaced
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

compared to what's already installed, that's a significant difference. I'd be talking to the PB in the morning!
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool coping....acceptable????

That is a lot of difference between the chipped ones and the ones that are already installed. Looks like the saw ran out of water or they tried to cut them way too fast. I cut some ceramic tile a couple years ago, and no matter how slow I went some of them chipped. I wouldn't expect that from a natural stone, especially since they cut the rest of them correctly.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Replace for sure!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit