Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nighthawk224

1. Back To Top    #1

Nighthawk224

Greetings from Gilbert, AZ!

First time pool owner here, bought a new house first of May that came with a gorgeous pool. Previous owner seemed to really keep it up and it has stayed crystal clear ever since. A little history, about a week after closing (and knowing nothing about pools and not having much time to research), I noticed the sides and floor becoming green. I knew this was not a good sign and have a friend who has a pool service business. So to get us through the moving and settling process, I hired him to take care of the chemicals. He showed me the daily and weekly things I need to do (clean out filters, skim and brush) and what to look out for. He just had to discontinue service here because we were his only clients way down here in Gilbert. This does not scare me like it would have just a month or two ago. I have purchased and am using the TF-100 test kit and found the chlorine and CYA to be high and the pH low. So there will be some adjustments that need to be made. The pool guy has already recommended at the end of the summer, we should drain and refill the pool and he would help us do that, mostly since we don't know when it was last done and because of the high CYA level.

It's a process and I have been lurking and reading up on this site to get the correct information and supplies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nighthawk224

Welcome to TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP and congrats to you for getting a TF-100 right off the bat!

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I did the full test already last week, but lost the paper I wrote the results down on. I will be doing the full test again probably today or tomorrow and then get busy to get on top of things chemically.
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP Nighthawk224!

Glad you joined us, enjoy your summer, pool and your time on TFP!