New House, New Pool, New Test Kit

Jun 26, 2015
Tyler, TX
Been in my new-to-me house with my new-to-me pool for a couple of weeks. Received my TF-100 test kit in the mail today and promptly got to work!

The previous owner claimed the pool was like 34k gal (and he has pool water test results from a pool store showing 31k gal...not that that means anything), but when I do the math I get more like 19.5k. Here is the calculator I used from Pentair's website...

IMG][/IMG]

The pool is only two years old, so I'm guessing his number is coming from what he remembers from the install. I figure I will go with my calculation unless someone tells me otherwise. I will add pics of the pool below for reference.

Test Results:
FC 4
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 100 (or more)
CH 150

I've been lurking for several weeks reading up and trying to get a handle on all this. Obviously the thing that jumps right out at me is the CYA. The system has an autofeeder tube in the plumbing for pucks, and I'm betting that is the only method of 'pool maintenance' the guy ever did, thus the high CYA reading. The CH is also a concern. I put the numbers in PoolMath and this is the result...

Pool_Math_1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't know if the images can be viewed big enough to read, I apologize if they cant be clicked-on and viewed larger. TFP shows a target FC of 8-13, I imagine that is due to my CYA being so high. It recommends draining 50%...ouch! I will drain some out this weekend, although I don't know how much I can do with our ground so wet from torrential rains over the past 4 months. The french drains fill up very quickly when it rains!

One question I have is when I buy bleach/baking soda/borax from the Wally World, is the total amount listed on the container by weight or volume? My guess would be volume, but please correct me if I am wrong. Another question is where to buy calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate for raising the CH. Is a pool store the most likely avenue, or does Lowes/Home Depot/Wal-Mart carry something?

Looking forward to getting all this under control with the TFP community's help! Thanks to all, and all advice is welcome!! Here are a couple of pics of the actual pool...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pool Volume.jpg
    Pool Volume.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Pool_Math.jpg
    Pool_Math.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150701_181850.jpg
    20150701_181850.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20150701_181933.jpg
    20150701_181933.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 64
SWEET! You are so far ahead of the game it is not even funny! Got a test kit! Read pool school! Filled in all your info! Posted pics! Can we keep you???????? LOL

You are so right in everything you did and posted. Yes you do need to drain your pool. Your CYA might even be higher than you think. When you drain and refill we will know for sure!

I am going to do some searching to find out about CH additions for you. This is not something I have to deal with.

Your pics were awesome-big enough to see and very well done!

Your pool and area are so pretty!

Kim

@Kim: Thanks for the kind words! And you are pretty much stuck with me for the foreseeable future...LOL!

@Dave: That makes sense on liquid vs dry. I should have realized that, thanks! And hello neighbor, indeed! Very nice to know I have a local voice around if I needed.

Any opinions on my volume calculations? I don't understand how there could be such a big difference in what the previous owner reported vs what I am getting, other than he just plain didn't know what he was talking about...which is certainly a possibility. This is my first pool, so I don't have any other frame of reference. From the pics I posted, does the 19.5k gal seem reasonable?

Jon one easy test is------------
-Test your FC, write it down,

- use pool math to find out how much bleach to add to bring your FC up 5 ppm using the size you came up with

-Add that much bleach making sure pump is running

-Test again in 30 mins.

Did you reach or overshoot your FC? THAT will tell you the most about your size of pool.

Good luck!

Kim

Cool, I actually pondered nearly that exact scenario last night (while floating in the pool, gazing skyward at Venus and Jupiter). Didn't know if it would work, but good to know I was using my brain correctly. And it makes perfect sense...if the test result goes up close to the expected value, then the volume must be correct. If it were to barely go up, then I have way more water in the pool than expected. If it sky-rockets, then way less water than expected. You rock, Kim.

You really have your **** together! :)

My pool is about the same size.

I had to get the calcium up as well.

Pretty sure I was at 150 to start.

To get it to 300 required adding 2, 15lb buckets of CH up

What I did was get another 1 gallon bucket, fill with pool water, add about 3 cups and stir it rigorously
don't add much more because the Calcium up will heat the water in a reaction, once mixed
then slowly pour in front of a deep end return jet.

You could probably do the entire first 15lbs then wait til next day and test to see where you are at.

Thanks, Borjis. I'll hit the pool store and get some. I'll think I'll do what you suggest and add one bucket first and test. I guess I should get going on the partial drain and refill first so I'm not pouring money down the drain...literally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.