Getting NO FLOW light with Hayward VSP

Oct 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Just noticed today that my Aqua Rite (T-Cell 3) is showing NO FLOW unless my Hayward SP3200VSP is set at 70% speed or greater which to me seems like it defeats the purpose of having a VSP. I have had to go into the settings on the pump and change the Min Speed% to 70% and MAX at 100% just to get the FLOW LIGHT to go off and GENERATE to glow.

Today, I cleaned the Cartridge Filter, Skimmer Basket, and Pump Basket. I also cleaned the T-Cell and ensured the Flow Sensor arrows are pointing the correct way.

What else could be the problem? Shouldn't it be possible to let the VSP work at a slower speed (say less than 50%) and still generate chlorine?

Brand new to pool ownership (it was installed this past January) and learning this thing.

Thoughts???

Kind of depends on how efficient your plumbing is. If you have a lot of head loss, you will not get enough flow at the lower speeds. Where/How is your flow sensor installed? Add a picture of your equipment.

Also add more details to you signature. What size filter do you have?
Is the pressure on the filter when clean what you would expect based on previous years?

Mine runs just fine on low speed (basically 50%) while the filter is relatively. But as it gets dirty, the flow drops quickly and the SWG will stop working.

So the filter is not too small. And the flow sensor install looks correct. So I am not sure.

Try removing the cartridge from the filter and see how much the pressure changes and whether the SWG works.

Okay...I'll try that today.

I also ordered a 2nd filter cartridge so I can switch between them and give them a really good cleaning. The one I have now is kinda tan colored and doesn't lighten up when I spray it out (sunscreen and gunk) so I want to give it a good cleaning.

So the filter is not too small. And the flow sensor install looks correct. So I am not sure.

Try removing the cartridge from the filter and see how much the pressure changes and whether the SWG works.

Will be interesting to see what the pressure differences between the two cartridges and no cartridge. I think there's an article in Pool School on how to chemically clean a cartridge.

I just pulled the cartridge out completely and let it run for a few minutes at various speeds, and the NO FLOW light went out and it looked to be generating. I put the filter back in, and the NO FLOW light started glowing again. With the cartridge out the psi was between 8-10.

So, sounds like this filter that is only 6 months old is really dirty I guess. Going to clean it later with TSP in the bathtub and see if that helps until I get the new one.

Now I can't get the strainer basket on the VSP to fill back to the top...tried filling with water 3 times now and the water level is only at the level of the inlet pipe :( UGH

Will be interesting to see what the pressure differences between the two cartridges and no cartridge. I think there's an article in Pool School on how to chemically clean a cartridge.

You need to pick a speed (preferably higher) and report the pressure with and without the cartridge and with the new cartridge when you get it.

You have to prime at high speed.

Latest update. I have not been able to get the pump to prime properly (water level always quite low in the pot) even after lubing the o-ring extensively. Then I decided to pull the cartridge out and try the prime...that worked! I filled completely almost immediately. So, I have the dirty filter in a TSP & Hot Water bath right now and letting the pump run minus the filter. Assuming that is okay for a short time. New filter is being shipped so hoping this fixes my issues.

Is it common for a dirty filter to cause less suction into the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, the Aqua Rite installation instructions advise to spin the TCell up side down when using with a variable speed pump. This ensures air will not collect at the top of the cell.

I will flip it over and see how that goes. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, the Aqua Rite installation instructions advise to spin the TCell up side down when using with a variable speed pump. This ensures air will not collect at the top of the cell.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what size the eyeballs are, but the return that is closed controls the deck jets (which rarely get used) and the other feeds the two returns in the pool.

8 to 10 psi seems a bit high with no cartridge in. The three-way valve has one return closed. What return is open? What size eyeballs are on the returns?

Okay...just installed the new clean filter and turned the SWG upside down to ensure better water flow, and here are the pressure readings...

NO CART IN THE FILTER:
4-5 psi at 50% pump speed

NEW CART IN THE FILTER:
14.5 psi at prime speed (100%)
5 psi at 50% pump speed

Do those numbers sound about right?

Just for information sake it takes around 15 gpm to close the flow switch. Also remember the flow switch will blink for a minute or so then go out if the flow is correct. Turning the cell over is important and you have done that. Make sure the arrow on the side of the white pvc flow fitting and the arrow on the black part on top match. I have seen them reversed. The black piece is the important one and it can be turned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.