filling pool finally....now what?

Jun 9, 2015
mississauga
Hope someone can help me. I've read pool school and all the other helpful links, but just want to make sure.
Okay, so pool is filling now and I know that someone on here told me all I need to add right away is bleach/liquid chlorine 10.8% (can't get strong enough bleach here in canada) I know the calculator will tell me how much, but what about CYA and PH, do I need to add anything for those right away or wait a day or two?
I have read so much, but feel like a Noob

You should start adding CYA as soon as you can in a sock to get it up around 30ppm.
Maintain the FC at 2ppm and when the CYA starts to dissolve raise the FC level according to the FC/CYA Chart.
Verify the CYA level a week after it dissolves.
Test the pH and adjust as needed.

What test kit are you using?

Add Canada to your location in the profile so we do not think you are in Mississippi :D

Hello! Here's a few basic to keep you on-track:
- You need stabilizer to increase your CYA level. It protects the chlorine in your new water. Use the poolmath calculator (link below) to shoot for an starting target of 30. Put the stabilizer in an old sock and let it soak in front of a return. Once dissolved, it will take about a week to show-up on your CYA readings.
- In the meantime, use regular liquid bleach (about a half gallon) each evening to keep your water sanitized. You will increase it later when your CYA builds.
- If you have a simple test kit, adjust PH to 7.2-7.5. That's for your skin/eyes, etc.

Start with those 3 things right now. The sock and bleach can go in anytime. But if you have to use acid to lower PH (for example), do it 30 minutes apart from chlorine. TFP rule of thumb is add chemicals 30 min apart from each other.

Hope that helps!

Ok, thanks so much for the help.
I only have a simple test kit for this year, we are just trying out the idea of a pool with an Intex for now.....not sure it will get much use though.
So my other question is, Is there any other way to check CYA (other than the fancy test kit) if the CYA gets high is it dangerous to swim?
I notice many people I've spoken to use chlorine tabs in a floater, so I'm guessing that kinda answers that question, as it would raise the cya and they still use their pools, that being said I plan to use liquid chlorine(bleach)

If the FC is lower than the minimum listed for the CYA level listed in the FC/CYA Chart, then we would not say the pool is safe. That is not to say that many many people don't do it anyway ... they just do not realize they are putting themselves at higher risk for person to person disease transmission.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.