SLAMing Pool, almost done but other readings are off now

Jun 28, 2015
Saint Rose, LA
Since the beginning of May I have been having issues keeping that demon, algae, at bay. I didn't realize that just adding a few pounds of "shock" was not going to solve the problem. The latest episode, or continuation of the very first, started last Friday, June 26 when I noticed that the pool was clear and I could see all the way to the bottom! Oh, wait, is that green at the bottom of my crystal clear pool?!? Yes, yes it was. So I threw in some shock and swept it. Still the same the next day. Repeat with the shock and sweeping, still the same on Sunday.

After lots of 'googling' I find TFP and tons of information. I had no idea what I had been doing. This is only the second summer with our little pool (15x4 AG Intex w/1000gph pump) and last summer I never had any issues. I hadn't even been using the test kit to its full potential. So, Sunday I put that test kit to good use, plugged in all the information on the pool calculator and realized I needed to put in some serious work!

Sunday's test results before starting SLAM: FC=4 (doubted this # due to green of pool, but had added lots of shock previous two days), CC=? (my kit does not test for this, it will give TC), PH=7.2, TA=70, CH=300, CYA=50. Sunday evening at 6pm I added the requisite amount of bleach (214oz of 8%) to shock for algae and swept pool. Tested again at 9:30pm, FC=18 and added 94oz of 8% bleach. Other #'s basically the same.

Monday morning at 7am I tested the water again, noting that the FC was down a lot, about 15ppm if the bleach did raise it according to calculator.
Monday's test results (7am):
  • FC=13
  • CC= ?
  • PH= 7.4 (this # has risen)
  • TA= 70
  • CH= 300
  • CYA= 50
I plugged the new test results in calculator and added the requisite amount of bleach, I also changed filter at this time. I re-tested at 11am, plugged in new results to calculator and added bleach. I swept the pool at this time, actually getting in it and making sure I swept it well. I tested again at 4pm and repeated all the same steps. I noted that the PH had increased again...PH=7.8. I tested again at 9pm, repeated all the steps.

Tuesday's test results (7am):
  • FC= 18
  • CC= ?
  • PH= 8.2 (why does it keep rising???)
  • TA= 80
  • CH= 300
  • CYA= 50
I put all levels in calculator and added bleach. Tested at Noon, 4pm & 9pm. Noting that FC is decreasing at a slower rate. Each time I tested I added the requisite amount of bleach, swept pool in am and changed filter.

Today's test results (7am):
  • FC=23
  • CC= ?
  • PH= 8.4
  • TA=80
  • CH= 300
  • CYA= 50
Plugged in results to calculator, added bleach, swept and changed filter. Tested again at 1pm, added bleach.

1. Should my PH be increasing just by adding bleach? No, I have not added anything other than bleach since Sunday. Before that I had some 3" pucks in a floater and had added 6+ pounds of shock (HTH brand) over a 2 day period. I took the floater out of the pool on Sunday.
  2. Will this amount of PH hurt my pool?
  3. Am I testing correctly? Yes, I have read the directions many, many times and pay attention to what I am doing when testing the water. Only the FC, PH and TA have changed when testing.
  4. Is there any other way to find the CC with my test kit? I have the Taylor K-2005.
  5. Is it normal for SLAMing to take several days even when testing and treating as often as I am? The water is no longer green, it is still cloudy. I also understand that the loss of FC means that the algae is still in there.
  6. I live in southeast Louisiana and it is very hot! We have also been having lots of rain off and on for past month or so.

Thank you in advance for any help/insight! I apologize for the length of the thread, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Hello and welcome! Let's try to reassure you on a few things:
- Don't worry about your PH during the SLAM. The high FC skews the PH readings. :)
- If you only have the 2005, you really need the FAS-DPD to test all your chlorine levels. You can get it at the TF-100 link below unless you can find it locally.
- Yes, a SLAM can take several days. Some people take a week or two because their water was so bad.
- Don't worry about the heat and rain. Just focus on keeping that FC at the SLAM level, pump on 24/7, cleaning your filter at least once a day, and sweeping your pool often. Also make sure any items in the pool (i.e. ladder) are scrubbed and cleaned really well.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

And just as a reminder, your SLAM FC level for a CYA of 50 is 20. So keep that FC at 20 at all times. You're doing great!

Thanks for the reassurance! Pump has been running 24/7 since Friday, have removed all toys/floats/junk from pool and cleaned with bleach and water, the same for the ladder. I will continue testing, adding bleach, sweeping and changing the filter.

I show "mustard algae shock: 29" when I put the numbers in the calculator. Did I misread something?

Until I can get my hands on a better test kit, can I safely assume after a few days of crystal clear water and no significant loss of FC that I can stop SLAMing?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should always SLAM at normal shock level, not mustard level.

How are you getting those supposed high FC readings with the K-2005? If you are trying to dilute the water and still match colors, that is no where near accurate enough to SLAM properly and know when you are done.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, add your state in your profile location. Thanks.

You're doing great on the cleaning. As for the algae ...... I don't believe you need to follow the Mustard algae level. I don't recall seeing anything that indicated you had that specific type of algae. So if it's just the regular green cloudy stuff, you'll follow the simple SLAM FC level. You can refer to the bottom of the poolmath calculator, or what I usually do is refer to the link below in my sig titled "Chlorine/CYA Chart". I keep that chart everywhere. It's key. Look for your current CYA and you'll see your corresponding FC levels on the same row. That's what you want. :)

If your water is clear, and you're not losing FC overnight (or less than 1ppm), then I see no reason to keep your FC up so high. Ideally, you would want to test your combined chlorine (CC) as well to formally pass a SLAM, but without the proper test kit you might just be wasting bleach. You can always reassess things when your kit comes in to confirm. If you ever do need to SLAM, the link is below and also on the TFP site. Hope this helps you.

I had green algae that got really cloudy when stirred up. Today the pool is cloudy, like a milky white. I think I overloaded my brain on all of the posts about algae that I found here and why I thought I should use the mustard algae shock rate. I am glad that I decided to post, because this helps clear things up. Being new to pools, it's hard to navigate all the info available.

Supposedly one of the local pool stores has the TF-100 kit in stock. I will get that first thing in the morning. As soon as I have the new test kit, I will post new results. It's been raining since I posted this thread earlier and I have not done anything else to the pool this evening. I will start fresh tomorrow with the new test kit (hopefully!).

Thanks again for the feedback. It is appreciated.

I guarantee that Dave does not have a store in LA that is stocking the TF-100. It might be the K-2006 with the FAS-DPD, but make sure it is NOT the K-2005 with only the DPD chlorine test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.