Can't remove return collar to install sprinkler cooler

Jun 21, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I know its an old thread but the idea is still great!
Trying to build one of these with PVC and sprinkler heads. My problem is that I cant get the collar out of the return and I DID buy the little tool that is supposed to remove it. I am trying righty tighty lefty loosey and turning the tool with a pair of vice grips. Im getting concerned I'm going to hurt the collar. Any tips or is there another tool? The one I'm using is a big plastic key from Leslie's.
Another thought. Is the return collar a 2" thread on the outside? I guess if it is I could thread a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer on and then plug my pool cooler into that reducer.

The thread on the outside of the nipple is not NPT thread. You might try an 1/8th of a turn to the right first and then attempt to loosen back to the left. Don't worry about the nipple, it is the female adaptor that is set in the wall that you want to protect.

If you damage the nipple, the entire assembly is less than $5.

Hi Yall
Well I got it built and installed. I used sprinkler heads instead of drilling holes. I like the end result. I decided to plug it into the polaris return. I get a lot of power there and was worried about stressing the pump by to much backpressure so I installed a spigot on the cooler. I can open it wide and then back the spigot down until I have a decent flow from the sprinklers and still am releasing pressure via the spigot.
Thanks for all the help. I should add that it doesnt work well on humid nights. Only the drier nights and then I get 2.5-3 degrees of cooling. I'm near Houston so humidity is everpresent.
Uriah

db2b20969eb903d0cdbfe953f1c05ffd.jpg

f102ad6dce583309bb328c29a7345730.jpg

4eda4ee5c058e5145dbcec5017057f53.jpg

This part is important. You screw it in first then screw the big part into it otherwise youre in the pool turning this big contraption into the side of the pool with all sorts of torque in the wrong directions and probably marginal success getting threads lined up. Also with my pool without this as a separate part the whole thing would hit the bottom of the pool and not make a whole rotation.

50fe7a9f1178fc0c3981b512311e99f3.jpg

This guy makes sure there's not to much back pressure on your pump.

d2b0c67483ad9ef51ef1a2d05aaf5462.jpg

I REALLY like your idea and might just make one! How much noise, if any, does it make? Out of curosity why did you not install on a regular pool return? I invision just letting it run when my pool runs on it's 4 times per day cycle. If I could get 3 -4 degree's of cooling that would be perfect. Have you noticed increased cooling effect by running it at night?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.