Is the Hayward Tristar Really an Efficency Leader?

Jun 23, 2014
CA
Hi all, love this forum. I want to give a shout out to the person/people who created the Pumping 101 Excel tool. Fantastic work. I'm performing a cost benefit analysis and found some interesting data. At 26gpm @ 1050rpm and using curve-C, the Energy Cost tab indicates 27.2 g/whr for the TriStar VS 1.85 URHP unit, which is nearly twice the efficiency compared to the Superflo VS, and IntelliFlo 1, 2, & 3hp models.

Is the Tristar really that efficient?

Even so, it doesn't pay back unit around month 30 for my case using current internet pricing, but still, pretty great if it's true.

If you meant the tools in the Hydraulics 101 thread, then those models are built upon manufacture test data that is submitted to the APSP and Energy Star so the results are only as good as the measurement accuracy. Unfortunately, the measurements, in some cases, have proven to be somewhat inaccurate and it is hard to know which ones are inaccurate and which ones are accurate.

If you meant the tools in the Hydraulics 101 thread, then those models are built upon manufacture test data that is submitted to the APSP and Energy Star so the results are only as good as the measurement accuracy. Unfortunately, the measurements, in some cases, have proven to be somewhat inaccurate and it is hard to know which ones are inaccurate and which ones are accurate.

Maybe somebody with a TriStar will perform the verification process in the future. It would nice to see the actual power draw compared to an estimate. Anybody?

I've been playing with the spreadsheet numbers to see if buying a 3hp VS, and running it at a lower (and more quiet) speed, would be worth it. Although, I don't see many correlations in the VS numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.