New Build - Bad Rain Caused Collapse

On the flip side, the more shotcrete you get, the stronger your shell is going to be :). We had some erosion and they just shotcreted the whole thing. I am sure there are some sections that are at least 2.5 ft thick in my pool!

The big issue is the rebar. There should be ample clearance under the rebar for at least 2 inches of gunite. Generally you don't want a pool on compacted soil. So generally they remove the collapsed material to get the rebar clearance and just put in more gunite. My step was enlarged by 30% without soil under the enlarged portion.

This is labor intensive to resolve for the PB, but a fairly common occurrence.

Did it pass rebar inspection? If so, then the PB will have to clear the debris, fix any rebar problems and then go for a re-inspection. That would be the appropriate thing to do though I suspect some PBs, having gotten a pass, would just fix and shoot to avoid an inspection delay or a possible inspection failure.

The biggest problem for you is that it will delay the build. Any cost to fix the damage is on the PB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB will,be out first thing tomorrow morning to pump the water out. They assure me it will get fixed, not sure the plan yet I'll ask exactly tomorrow what they plan on doing. There is easily 2 ft or more gap on the backside where we were having a beamed wall. I'm wondering if they plan on backfill in or filling the void with extra gunite.

Any advice on how they should fix this?

As for the inspection the rebar passed but they did say they will have to have the inspector back out now.

That is a mess. We had some collapse too. The PB will recover it. We did have some issue later after the gunite in the same area of our collapse. The patio people did not back fill enough. We had two major rains and the ground sunk in the area. We are fortunate there was a delay before they laid concrete. The patio people will bring a a tamper machine to settle the soil better in the area. This is something they should have done in the first place.

That is a mess. We had some collapse too. The PB will recover it. We did have some issue later after the gunite in the same area of our collapse. The patio people did not back fill enough. We had two major rains and the ground sunk in the area. We are fortunate there was a delay before they laid concrete. The patio people will bring a a tamper machine to settle the soil better in the area. This is something they should have done in the first place.

So overall do you feel the collapse effected or will effect the quality of your build long term? Do you know what they did to fix your collapse?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So overall do you feel the collapse effected or will effect the quality of your build long term? Do you know what they did to fix your collapse?

We are still in the final stages. I don't think we were hit as hard as you. But it is just dirt. After they put up the gunite there was a large hole that needed to be backfilled. This COULD have been a problem if they laid the patio the day after the surface was smoothed. But we discovered the soil compression (from not enough fill dirt back filled in) and the will remediate it before pouring concrete over the area. As for the pool structure, they had to add some extra wood forms to hold things in place but not much else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.