Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build - Bad Rain Caused Collapse

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build - Bad Rain Caused Collapse

Started our pool about two weeks ago. All was well until another big rain came through just a day before gunite. Now the walls have caved in, and the bench step in the deep end has eroded by about 50%.

How big of a problem is this? 20150701_063712.jpg20150701_063647.jpg20150701_063627.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Build - Bad Rain Caused Collapse

I have no idea, but that sucks... sorry

I hope its easy to fix, what did the poolbuilder say?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

No problem at all. PBs deal with rain and erosion on lots of builds.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

PB is suppose to be out today to evaluate the scope of the problem. What should I look for to make sure I'm not getting a patch job, but rather a fix that will not compromise the longevity of the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

On the flip side, the more shotcrete you get, the stronger your shell is going to be . We had some erosion and they just shotcreted the whole thing. I am sure there are some sections that are at least 2.5 ft thick in my pool!
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

The big issue is the rebar. There should be ample clearance under the rebar for at least 2 inches of gunite. Generally you don't want a pool on compacted soil. So generally they remove the collapsed material to get the rebar clearance and just put in more gunite. My step was enlarged by 30% without soil under the enlarged portion.

This is labor intensive to resolve for the PB, but a fairly common occurrence.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Did it pass rebar inspection? If so, then the PB will have to clear the debris, fix any rebar problems and then go for a re-inspection. That would be the appropriate thing to do though I suspect some PBs, having gotten a pass, would just fix and shoot to avoid an inspection delay or a possible inspection failure.

The biggest problem for you is that it will delay the build. Any cost to fix the damage is on the PB.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

PB will,be out first thing tomorrow morning to pump the water out. They assure me it will get fixed, not sure the plan yet I'll ask exactly tomorrow what they plan on doing. There is easily 2 ft or more gap on the backside where we were having a beamed wall. I'm wondering if they plan on backfill in or filling the void with extra gunite.

Any advice on how they should fix this?

As for the inspection the rebar passed but they did say they will have to have the inspector back out now.

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a mess. We had some collapse too. The PB will recover it. We did have some issue later after the gunite in the same area of our collapse. The patio people did not back fill enough. We had two major rains and the ground sunk in the area. We are fortunate there was a delay before they laid concrete. The patio people will bring a a tamper machine to settle the soil better in the area. This is something they should have done in the first place.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by poolnorthernva View Post
    That is a mess. We had some collapse too. The PB will recover it. We did have some issue later after the gunite in the same area of our collapse. The patio people did not back fill enough. We had two major rains and the ground sunk in the area. We are fortunate there was a delay before they laid concrete. The patio people will bring a a tamper machine to settle the soil better in the area. This is something they should have done in the first place.
    So overall do you feel the collapse effected or will effect the quality of your build long term? Do you know what they did to fix your collapse?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by daveooph View Post
    So overall do you feel the collapse effected or will effect the quality of your build long term? Do you know what they did to fix your collapse?
    We are still in the final stages. I don't think we were hit as hard as you. But it is just dirt. After they put up the gunite there was a large hole that needed to be backfilled. This COULD have been a problem if they laid the patio the day after the surface was smoothed. But we discovered the soil compression (from not enough fill dirt back filled in) and the will remediate it before pouring concrete over the area. As for the pool structure, they had to add some extra wood forms to hold things in place but not much else.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress