Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: argument at the pool store :)

1. Back To Top    #1

argument at the pool store :)

I have a SW pool, but every once in a while I add some liquid chlorine for a boost after heavy use to keep my SWCG at the same level. I go to a local Leslies, since here in Florida 10% chlorine is dirt cheap...about $3.50 for a 2.5 gallon refill. sorry, not trying to rub that in for my friends to the north

I ALWAYS get some sort of grief from the pool store employees when I get my refills. Most of the time its pestering me why I didn't bring in a water sample for testing, or why I wont buy the powder shock for my once a week shock (haha). I usually deal with the store manager, and he is a nice guy, but obviously trying to maximize sales.

this time I dealt with a younger guy. upon bringing out my jug of chlorine and putting it on the floor, he proceeds to ask my "why do you like dealing with THIS stuff" with a pretentious tone to his voice. so I asked him "you mean, chlorine?". and he said yes. and proceeded to ask why I would want to use THIS when you can just buy it in powder form and that it works better.

I tell him, I like to use chlorine when im trying to raise my chlorine and that I don't want any more stabilizer or calcium added to my pool. of course he responded with "im not talking about that stuff, the powder im talking about is just dry chlorine". at this point I chuckle and calmly explain to him that is not true, and how its either binded to calcium or stabilzer. starts giving me serious attitude at this point.

finally the store manager comes by and asks what's the problem and I tell him he needs to train his staff on the products he is pushing, and go on to explain what I said above. The manager looks at the kid and says "well, he is correct". kid was not happy and stormed away like I just took his candy from him

manager cashed me out and apologized...and kind of chuckled too.

sorry for long post, but thought you fellow TFT nerds would enjoy the back and forth.

cant wait to go back
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: argument at the pool store :)

Love it!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

LOL, Nice
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I was one of those guys that was led into that 'Dark hole' by a young man who worked in a pool store. I was a believer and I was putting my trust in someone that knew less about his business than I did........then I found 'the light', you guys saved me.....Thanks
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

5. Back To Top    #5

OH so funny! Good for you and the manager!

I am glad I can get my chlorine at ACE Hardware. No fussing with pool people!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    OH so funny! Good for you and the manager!

I am glad I can get my chlorine at ACE Hardware. No fussing with pool people!

Kim
    nice, i might need to check my ACE. Leslies is so cheap and only go once a month that its worth it for me. plus my card is now full so next refill is free!
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

See Leslies is cheaper BUT it is on the other side of town. ACE is right up the road so..........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit