Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump too smallin

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump too smallin

Hi,

I just got a 1.5 hp pump (in the signature) that was recommended by the pool store. It replaced a 2 hp pump that did run everything. However, now the 1.5 hp does not run the 7 returns, waterfall, and fountain. It barely does the returns. Is the pump too small? Could it be something else? Thanks.
    3,000 gallon pool, IG, marcite finish, new equipment: Hayward 100 sq ft cartridge filter, 1.5 hp Hayward SP2602VSP variable pump, Hayward swimpure plus salt chlorination, valves. not sure when it was built, ware tested at pool store

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump too smallin

Can you verify that you really have a 3,000 gallon pool as your signature says?

What flow rate are you running your pump?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a valve that switches water flow between waterfall and pool returns. When I want more waterfall I move the valve to more waterfall and less returns. The rest of the time it is on all pool returns.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that 3,000 is accurate.

I'm new to this. How do I figure the flow rate?

thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Pooldv,

yes, I have adjusted the valves, but I should not have to. When we got this house the entire system ran fine on a 2hp pump. Now it is either the returns, or fountain, or waterfall that can be on.

Thanks,
    3,000 gallon pool, IG, marcite finish, new equipment: Hayward 100 sq ft cartridge filter, 1.5 hp Hayward SP2602VSP variable pump, Hayward swimpure plus salt chlorination, valves. not sure when it was built, ware tested at pool store

5. Back To Top    #5

How many RPM?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

You have 7 returns, a waterfall and fountain on a 3000 gallon pool? Don't you mean 30,000???
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

MaxFlo VS is the wrong pump for all those water features. That is a low head, low flow pump. You 2 HP pump was likely a high head pump which is considerably more powerful than the MaxFlo. The EcoStar would have been a better choice.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi mas985,

We took off an old 2hp that was leaking and the pool store recommended this variable 1.5hp. They said it will turn the water over well but everything cannot run together.

9. Back To Top    #9

A 3,000 gallon pool is barely enough to have 4 men in it, let alone waterfall and ... how many returns, again? And 1.5HP pump is too large even for 10,000 gallon pool. It can empty 3,000 gallons in like 20 minutes. Has to be 30,000.