Ready to start testing with my newly arrived TF-100 kit

Jun 18, 2015
Concord, CA
I finally received the kit but before I start I have a few questions.

I was away on vacation for a week and noticed green algae. I dropped some shock last night and let the pump run on high for about 5 hours. The water appears cleaner. I then decided to do my monthly filter cleaning and it was very green. I rinsed it till all the green was gone and the entire filter assembly. I decided to drop another shock treatment to ensure I got all the algae. Brushed the entire pool to make sure the green cloud from brushing was gone.

When should I start testing with the kit since I just shocked?
Also, I am using chlorine tablets but all of my reading on this forum suggests to not use it since it lowers PH. Is the alternative to use household bleach or liquid chlorine?
What are people using to raise PH? (Borax or Soda Ash)

Good news first...you got the test kit! woohoo!

bad news...stop adding powder shock and/or chlorine tabs. lowering of pH is not why they are not recommended, its because they add CYA to your pool...and very quickly. im worried you are going to have very high CYA.

test your pool asap and post full results here, and we will help you get this fixed.

TFT method involves using only bleach/chlorine (same thing) or using a saltwater generator. either way, its chlorine.

but no more powder or pucks, ok!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

"Yuck!" on your test results. Your first order of business would be to reduce your CYA and CH. That can only be done by a partial drain and refill. Let's stop right there because you are in California. Will regulations allow you to drain at least half your pool? There is really no other way to Get your CYA and CH down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.