Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump tripping breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump tripping breaker

Hello. Could someone help with some knowledge? I had my pump replaced because it was leaking. Upon installing the new Hayward Super Pump 1hp the breaker would trip. The pool professional said to have an electrician check. I hired an electrician and they checked it out and said everything was good it had to be the pump. I told the pool professional that and they suggested using their own electrician so I did that and he also said everything was good and it had to be the motor. So the pool professional came out today with a brand new motor yet again and it did the same thing. No one apparently can help or knows what is going on? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump tripping breaker

Welcome to TFP!

Is it on a 120V or 240V circuit?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

what is the exact pump? Is it a GFCI breaker, there have been some issues with VS pumps lately and GFCI..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yes, is your pool circuit 110v or 220v? These days most major manufacturers have their motors set at 220v. A common 1hp motor can be set at 110v or 220v. It's posted on the motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. It is 220v. Neither the pool person or electrician can figure it out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blueajax View Post
    Thanks everyone. It is 220v. Neither the pool person or electrician can figure it out.
    Is the circuit 220, or the pump? The pump can be wired either way. You have to move wires inside the cover to select your operating voltage.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks John. The pump is 220 or 110. The circuit is 220. The power going to the pump is the same voltage as the pump requires. I suppose that's why no one can figure it out.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you're looking for good answers it's best to provide as much information as possible.
    Remember, no one here has seen your set up, so it's pretty much impossible to diagnose anything with the information you've given.
    Pictures would be great.
    Show the electrical connections to the breaker, the switch and inside the pump.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Can you provide the model # of the pump? This will help us immensely in trying to figure out what is going on. For example, VS pumps have been known to have issues with GFCI breakers.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump