Intex wall strainer not enough

Lonwat

Jul 17, 2013
McAlester Oklahoma
20150701_144020-1-1[1].jpgI have the above ground Intex 12x24, 52". It just came with a screw on wall strainer that the water flows through to the pump/filter. My problem is, all the bugs and debris are sucked onto the strainer and I have to pick them out of the little grid of holes on the strainer. Once it even got clogged enough to stop the pump flow. This doesn't seem like a good design. Isn't there something better?

Not ignorant at all, but yes, you are correct. That is why I did not cut mine off. Instead I installed a skimmer and put a shut off valve on the outlet fitting.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what my set up looks like after installing the skimmer. I keep a skimmer sock on th skimmer basket.

A thru-the-wall skimmer like the Hayward Dyna-skim shown above would be the best solution. But even an Intex Deluxe over the wall skimmer would be better than nothing. They used to include them with the pools, but apparently quit doing that recently, and now sell them separately.

Amazon.com : INTEX Deluxe Wall Mount Swimming Pool Surface Skimmer | 58949E : Intex Krstal Pool Skimmer : Patio, Lawn Garden

Seriously consider the Hayward though. You have to cut your liner, but it's no big deal. Plus it comes with an adapter that allows you to use a real pool vacuum.

Hayward SP1091LX - Dyna Skim Thru-wall Skimmer - PoolSupplies.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.