Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex wall strainer not enough

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex wall strainer not enough

20150701_144020-1-1[1].jpgI have the above ground Intex 12x24, 52". It just came with a screw on wall strainer that the water flows through to the pump/filter. My problem is, all the bugs and debris are sucked onto the strainer and I have to pick them out of the little grid of holes on the strainer. Once it even got clogged enough to stop the pump flow. This doesn't seem like a good design. Isn't there something better?
    AG intex pool 12x24x52" apprx 8500 gal. Intex sand filter, Hayward pump 1 HP, 60GPM with added SWG system, Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Vac. (Iron in faucet water)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Intex wall strainer not enough

Some people have cut the grid off if you cannot unscrew it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Excuse my ignorance but, if I cut the grid off then everything will flow right into the pump, right?
    AG intex pool 12x24x52" apprx 8500 gal. Intex sand filter, Hayward pump 1 HP, 60GPM with added SWG system, Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Vac. (Iron in faucet water)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Not ignorant at all, but yes, you are correct. That is why I did not cut mine off. Instead I installed a skimmer and put a shut off valve on the outlet fitting.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what my set up looks like after installing the skimmer. I keep a skimmer sock on th skimmer basket.

Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

A thru-the-wall skimmer like the Hayward Dyna-skim shown above would be the best solution. But even an Intex Deluxe over the wall skimmer would be better than nothing. They used to include them with the pools, but apparently quit doing that recently, and now sell them separately.

Amazon.com : INTEX Deluxe Wall Mount Swimming Pool Surface Skimmer | 58949E : Intex Krstal Pool Skimmer : Patio, Lawn Garden

Seriously consider the Hayward though. You have to cut your liner, but it's no big deal. Plus it comes with an adapter that allows you to use a real pool vacuum.

Hayward SP1091LX - Dyna Skim Thru-wall Skimmer - PoolSupplies.com
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much everyone!