Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Sand Filter blowing sand into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Sand Filter blowing sand into pool

Just purchased a 2150gph Intex Krystal Clear sand filter 2 weeks ago. Didn't have any problems putting it together (except the initial converting the hoses from 1 1/4in to 1 1/2in). Pool is 15x42 Summer Escapes metal frame. Water is crystal clear and has been tested by a local pool supply store and all levels are good. Pump runs great but it is throwing a lot of sand into the pool. If I run it for 2 hrs I would guess about a cup of sand has entered the pool. I have been sweeping and vacuuming to waste thinking it would stop. I have read a lot of posts that say the laterals are probably damaged. I didn't inspect them when I put the pump together but it is brand new. I'm thinking I should go ahead and order new laterals before I take it apart so that if I do find out they are damaged I won't have to wait for the new parts to come in. Anyone else have this problem with a new pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Sand Filter blowing sand into pool

Is it possible you might have missed a step in the instructions or put something on backwards?

I'd check that first, though an extra set of laterals would be good to have.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Probably the laterals Either they were defective, installed incorrectly, or my best guess, they were broken by the sand installation. Did you just dump the sand in or put it in slowly? Sometimes the sand can crack the laterals as it falls down upon them.

4. Back To Top    #4

I followed the direcoins exactly and put in water when adding sand slowly. I ordered the laterals and 2 plunger valves today (right now I have no way to shut off water flow). Will continue sweeping/vacuuming until I get the parts and can empty the filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Completely tore down filter on Sunday to find nothing visibly wrong with laterals, stand pipe or 6 point valve. Went step by step putting filter back together with new laterals even though the first set didn't look to be damaged. Ran pump for 2 hours and had sand flowing through again. UGH!! Took back the pump on Tuesday and ordered a new one. Will update when the new pump arrives Friday. Hoping my water holds out the 3 days without a pump running. Wish me luck!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Really interested to see how this turns out bc I've been eyeballing that exact pump
    16' round above ground intex simple set; 1000gph intex cartidge pump; Timmins, Ontario (8 hrs North of Toronto)

7. Back To Top    #7

What kind of sand did you put in it? Maybe it's the wrong size?

8. Back To Top    #8

Pump has nothing to do with it.
    Sand....if it is sand for sand pool filters, should be fine.
    Have you by chance poured some in the vertical pipe when assembling?
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I also questioned the sand I used but it looks to be the correct kind. I used the brand Pavestone. I bought it at walmart. It's called swimming pool filter sand and it's #20 silica sand. New pump is scheduled for delivery today!

10. Back To Top    #10

Again, it is not likely the pump, pump does not throw sand in the pool unless you have puny little filter and a manmoth pump that just stirs the sand and the sand is so agitated it breaks laterals.

Speaking of which.
    Usually sand in the pool means a broken lateral. Were you careful when assembling the filter, following unstructions. putting water in before all else goes inside?
    Dont know this filter but they should be all similar.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Just another thought, I've heard putting too much sand in your filter can cause this as well, also I've always been told to backwash the new sand for a few minutes then rinse as well, might be worth a shot, good luck

12. Back To Top    #12

New filter is working great!! I think maybe we had a lemon before. Assembled the new pump/filter and ran it for 4 hours. No sand in the pool this time!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sweet! Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit