Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 90 degree under skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

90 degree under skimmer

Hey guys,

I have a cracked 90 degree under my skimmer. Im attempting to 'patch' it with epoxy. I havent been able to stop it yet. Ill try a layer of a plus b next...

But if I cant stop the leak: Is it possible / has anyone removed the plumbing from the skimmer box? How nice it would be if I could back out the threaded 2" that is connected to the skimmer and replace some pipe from there.

There is not enough room to cut and replace pvc between this first 90 and the skimmer box.

If all of the above fails: Im looking at having to replace my skimmer box just to simply replumb that 90?

Thanks!
    •15,000• IG • Plaster • Triton II TR100 Sand Filter • Has a gas heater but not using it.
    • MAX-FLO VS SP2302VSP • 1970's pool • Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD
    • 1 skimmer and two 'main drains' via reverse plumbed caretaker lines. -Someone incapacited the real main drain.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 90 degree under skimmer

It sounds like you've accessed the bottom of the skimmer from the outside. If that's the case then you can probably unscrew the threaded adapter, screw a new one in and replace the plumbing from there. Hopefully they didn't 'glue' the adapter in place.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

And a fear of this is that when torqueing on the threaded adapter I will crack snap or possibly pop the skimmer box.
    •15,000• IG • Plaster • Triton II TR100 Sand Filter • Has a gas heater but not using it.
    • MAX-FLO VS SP2302VSP • 1970's pool • Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD
    • 1 skimmer and two 'main drains' via reverse plumbed caretaker lines. -Someone incapacited the real main drain.

4. Back To Top    #4

I completely understand. Be careful and when replacing it, use some good Teflon plumbing paste for plastic piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit