Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Filter/NEW pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Sand Filter/NEW pool Owner

Hi all. I NEED HELP!!! I inherited a pool with a house I purchased. I've been trying to get it up and going myself and this is proving to be an impossible task. First the water is pretty much BLACK (I'm told that is black algae (sp)) I was told to pour algaecide (sp) and let the water "circulate". The only problem is that the filter system was not covered and the settings on the arm have been faded by the sun and it seems to be an older sand system and I cannot locate what the settings should be.

I would love some help. As I said I'm totally new to this. Cannot afford the "professionals" and I've asked a few installers that do this on the side for help they have made many appointments and never showed up nor called. It is very frustrating . I wanted to have a 4th party but that isn't going to happen. I'm in Tulsa, OK.
    Any help with be helpful!!!

thank you to whomever started this forum
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter/NEW pool Owner

You were told wrong about the algaecide. It won't help, and may hurt. What you need is chlorine.

You need to get things running first so you have circulation. Rinse, waste and backwash will result in water coming out of the clear fitting on the filter. Recirculate and filter will move water from the skimmer to the pool return. On closed, water won't go anywhere. If your pressure gauge works, you'll probably be able to narrow down which is which. If it doesn't work, get a new one.

Check out the article Defeating Algae for more information
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you yippee $21.95 for something that could possibly cause more damage. I went and purchased a new gauge and that helped. It is now on circulate and doing so. I have to purchase a new scrub brush and then I will start the waste and backwash today after work. I've read a couple threads on here do you recommend BLEACH and use that? My pool is 30 ft round 4 1/2foot deep I tried changing my signature with as much info as I had.
    thank you for a least getting me started somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    You were told wrong about the algaecide. It won't help, and may hurt. What you need is chlorine.

You need to get things running first so you have circulation. Rinse, waste and backwash will result in water coming out of the clear fitting on the filter. Recirculate and filter will move water from the skimmer to the pool return. On closed, water won't go anywhere. If your pressure gauge works, you'll probably be able to narrow down which is which. If it doesn't work, get a new one.

Check out the article Defeating Algae for more information
    30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor
    Millennium Ultimate Granular Filtration System

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the diameter of your pool? Is the water depth 4-1/2 feet or is that the wall measurement?

5. Back To Top    #5

All I do know is that it is a round pool measuring 30ft and I believe the wall height is 41/2

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay. I calculate 23,800 for 4-1/2 foot WATER depth, 21,100 for 4 feet of water. Your signature says 30,000 and I wanted to make sure you didn't use that incorrect volume to calculate any additions!

And yes, use bleach!!!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. TFP has been weirding out today for me.

7. Back To Top    #7

No I didn't use those calculation I will change that I'm sorry I'm not sure how to calculate this.

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

8. Back To Top    #8

NO need to apologize!!!

The reason I wanted to clarify your volume is because with a 30,000 gallon pool, 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach would increase your FC by about 2.7ppm. With a 21,100 gallon pool, 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach would increase your FC by 4.0ppm. That is a significant difference, especially during a slam.

If you are curious how I came up with your volume, here's how. A cubic foot of water contains 7.48 gallons. The volume of a round pool is (pi x radius squared x depth) cubic feet. 7.48gal/cu ft x pool cu ft= pool volume in gallons.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you so much. I'm sure I will have more questions tomorrow thx again

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you figure out your multi-port positions? Filter, recirculate, rinse, backwash, waste, winter/closed? We can be more specific about those if you need more help. Record them on a piece of paper until you're positive of which is which. Then mark them with a sharpie for future reference.

11. Back To Top    #11

I went to a pool store who had one like.mine up and running took a picture of it and it matched. I bought a new gauge as well. Now I am circulating the water. Is that correct with one Gal of bleach?

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

12. Back To Top    #12

Now that you have your mechanics running, it's time to start talking about testing methods. At TFP, pool store test results are not trusted. We really can only help with pool chemistry if you purchase a reliable test kit.

I use the Taylor K-2006C. Many on the forum use a hybrid version of the Taylor kit called the TF-100. Either way you go, you need one of these kits. It's an outlay of $70 bucks or more, (prices vary with time), but it will pay for itself over and over again. Just think if you had bought 3 bottles of useless algaecide from your store. Kit paid for!

Here is TFP's link about test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok I don't have a test kit I will need to get one tomorrow and then get back on here.

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

14. Back To Top    #14

Great! Don't buy one at the pool store unless they have a FAS-DPD test. Only maybe 1% of pool stores nationwide sell them. (It would hurt their business...) You probably have to get it online. If you are in a hurry, go with the fastest delivery date!

If your pool water is black, it will take a while to fix. While you're waiting for your kit, check liquid chlorine/bleach prices at every store you go to. (Big box hardware, Aldi, Walmart, etc.) Look for two things.

1) % strength. The strength should be listed on the bottle. If not, you don't want it. Make a note of %, bottle size (ounces), and cost. You can calculate effective cost that way. Don't get too bogged down by the math if it's not your thing. 1 gallon of 6% at $2.99 is not as good a deal as 1 gallon of 12.5% at $3.99.

2) Look for a code on the box or bottle. It may have a "bottled on" date, or it may have a 5 digit code like 15142 which would be the 142nd day of 2015. Chlorine loses it's strength over time or when exposed to heat/sunlight.

You want the freshest, and least cost per effective ounce you can get.

Hope that wasn't too much info...

15. Back To Top    #15

Not at all informative for sure. I will order my test kit. So what besides looking for chlorine /bleach should I just let the water circulate while I'm waiting for my test kit?

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

16. Back To Top    #16

One thing you can do now is add 64 oz of bleach every night to add 2ppm FC. You don't want too add too much because you could damage your liner since we don't know what your CYA level is.

Continue brushing the pool and getting out any debris.

Another is to do lots of reading in Pool School (above). Read especially:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - PoolMath

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

You want your multiport valve set to "Filter". Circulate (or recirculate, however it may be labeled) bypasses the filter and just dumps the dirty water back into the pool.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank both of you I will get the bleach, brush it and it is on circulate.

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

19. Back To Top    #19

So I started seeing the algae float and i.coyld see my stairs now it's raining in Oklahoma. Is this going to hurt my 24 hour progess really bad

30,000 gallon 4 1/2 foot
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground -Circle
    Hayward Motor

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

No, rain really doesn't affect your water chemistry much.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast