Replaster Question

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
So our pool is around 15 years old and I am starting to see copper marks on the bottom of the pool and a few baseball size indentations in a few areas of the concrete. Would acid washing fix this ( We never acid washed) or do you think a full re-plaster is necessary. Also, what would re -plastering cost in general if we wanted to do pebble tec our pool is roughly 20 x 44.

Acid wash might clean some up, but where is the copper coming from? PT is just one option, but I would plan on 10-12 K as a starting point for that pool depending on what color. Upgrades to darker Blues might shock you in pricing. I would suggest quartz over PT, but that's up to you of course.

Acid wash might clean some up, but where is the copper coming from? PT is just one option, but I would plan on 10-12 K as a starting point for that pool depending on what color. Upgrades to darker Blues might shock you in pricing. I would suggest quartz over PT, but that's up to you of course.

Thank you, whats the main advantage of Quartz over pebble tec?

The copper might not be copper but rust from rebar showing through the pool.

The big difference is feel -- remember Pebble Tec has other finishes that are not as rough. But you usually pay a premium for the brand name. There are plenty of other premium finishes that you might like.

You are in Maryland -- I wouldn't be surprised if prices are steep but I would call 3 or 4 plasterers and get bids.

Pebble finishes have tiny, tiny rounded stones as the aggregate, where Quartz has crushed sand like particles of Quartz as the aggregate. It's much smoother, and just about as long lasting and durable as pebble. Pebble is expected to last longer as a rule, but it's a very personal choice based on what feel and look you prefer. Expect pebble finishes to be double and up over plain plaster with Quartz being in between. Properly cared for and installed well, even plain plaster can last a very long time.

Copper stains differ from rebar stains as those are brownish/orange-ish type stains where copper is generally blue ish/greenish in color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.