Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaster Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaster Question

So our pool is around 15 years old and I am starting to see copper marks on the bottom of the pool and a few baseball size indentations in a few areas of the concrete. Would acid washing fix this ( We never acid washed) or do you think a full re-plaster is necessary. Also, what would re -plastering cost in general if we wanted to do pebble tec our pool is roughly 20 x 44.
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replaster Question

Acid wash might clean some up, but where is the copper coming from? PT is just one option, but I would plan on 10-12 K as a starting point for that pool depending on what color. Upgrades to darker Blues might shock you in pricing. I would suggest quartz over PT, but that's up to you of course.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Acid wash might clean some up, but where is the copper coming from? PT is just one option, but I would plan on 10-12 K as a starting point for that pool depending on what color. Upgrades to darker Blues might shock you in pricing. I would suggest quartz over PT, but that's up to you of course.
    Thank you, whats the main advantage of Quartz over pebble tec?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

The copper might not be copper but rust from rebar showing through the pool.

The big difference is feel -- remember Pebble Tec has other finishes that are not as rough. But you usually pay a premium for the brand name. There are plenty of other premium finishes that you might like.

You are in Maryland -- I wouldn't be surprised if prices are steep but I would call 3 or 4 plasterers and get bids.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

We just had a full replaster (sandblast down to gunite and full resurface. We ended up with regular marble plaster. The 10-12K is a fair estimate for pebble tec.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Geebot - what was the price difference between replastering and Pebble Tec?

12K Gallon IG Lap Pool (c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/White Plaster/Concrete
    Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Dolphin S300i Robot/SolarBreeze Robot
    TFT-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Pebble finishes have tiny, tiny rounded stones as the aggregate, where Quartz has crushed sand like particles of Quartz as the aggregate. It's much smoother, and just about as long lasting and durable as pebble. Pebble is expected to last longer as a rule, but it's a very personal choice based on what feel and look you prefer. Expect pebble finishes to be double and up over plain plaster with Quartz being in between. Properly cared for and installed well, even plain plaster can last a very long time.

Copper stains differ from rebar stains as those are brownish/orange-ish type stains where copper is generally blue ish/greenish in color.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem