Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic pool cleaner for above ground pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Pearl River Louisiana

Automatic pool cleaner for above ground pools

Just finished installing out new Intex 16'x32'x52" ultra frame pool and it was a lot of work getting the ground level but we used a transit level, dug out the high area and hauled in clay dirt to build up the low end and then used sand for the pool floor. Putting up the pool was the easy part and now it's filled, looks great and is less than an inch off, so the extra time we spent on the ground prep was definitely worth it. Now we are ready to purchase a pool cleaner that will work well, not only with an Intex pool but with a pool of this size. We have seriously been considering the Polaris 65/turbo turtle which does appear to get excellent reviews however, when I walked into our local pool (chain) store and inquired about this Polaris, the guy at the store acted puzzled and said he was unfamiliar with that cleaner and then I explained it to him and he suddenly had a vague memory of it and basically said it was antiquated and then proceeded to hand me a brochure for a new robotic cleaner called the Pool Blaster SpeedJet. He said they didn't even have it in stock yet and that it would be arriving in a few days. When I inquired about the price he said it runs about $300.00 and the Polaris turtle online is about $185. I don't mind paying more if the SpeedJet is in fact a better cleaner but I haven't been able to find many reviews on it and the only complaint was that it would occasionally get tangled in the cord. My husbands concern is that it is an electrical motorized devise that may not last as long as the turtle. If anyone has had any experience with either of these pool cleaners, I would appreciate any feedback or
    Input you may have. THANKS
    32'x16'x52" Intex rectangular pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic pool cleaner for above ground pools

We use a Aquabot Pool Rover Junior Above Ground Robotic Cleaner. it is a few years old but works like a champ. Found it online for as low as $239.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Western Pa.

Another pool rover Jr. It does a great job. My only gripe is the cord twists up and I have to stop it and untangle to cord.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Pool Rover Jr. ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

4. Back To Top    #4

Northeast Alabama

I use a Red Leopard Orbit suction cleaner and it works great! Best $175 I've spent on the pool so far...
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

5. Back To Top    #5

Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by linda1 View Post
    Another pool rover Jr. It does a great job. My only gripe is the cord twists up and I have to stop it and untangle to cord.
    I use something similar to an Aquabot, it is yellow. I paid a little over $300 for it and I love it. To keep the cord from twisting and getting caught under the wheels, I attached a one foot section of pool noodle to the cord. Now, the cord floats and does not twist or get caught.

- - - Updated - - -

My vote is for a robot. At $100+ for the suction side cleaners, a few hundred more will save you a lot of time and effort. My robot does clean my entire pool and gets caught on nothing! I did not have the same level of satisfaction from my suction side cleaner.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).