Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Owner Having to Backwash Often

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Owner Having to Backwash Often

So I've been doing some reading here and across the interwebs, but I'm not quite finding the answer I'm looking for. We purchased an 18x9 Ultra Frame pool and it came with the SF90110T sand filter pump. We also purchased and installed the salt water system for up to 14000 gallons. We set it all up, purged all the air, and it seemed to run fine (pressure gauge reading 6 psi). We had a dust storm roll through the valley that same night, so the next morning the pressure had dropped on the filter so I backwashed all the gunk out. I decided to get in the pool and start vacuuming some of the sediment off the bottom. I managed to make about 2 9 foot passes before the suction was almost too weak to even lift the dust off the ground. So I had to get out and backwash again. I'm not sucking up *that* much dust out of the pool, is it normal for these pumps/filters to lose suction so easily? I've checked for air leaks in the hoses and haven't found any.

Suggestions? Is the included pump just too weak to be effective?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Owner Having to Backwash Often

Welcome! Good to have you here.

Before you vacuumed, the pressure should not have dropped following a dust storm, but the opposite should have happened. Having the filter plug off after sucking up dirt is what you would expect. This will block flow through the SF, and that will mean less suction. Not unexpected. You'll have to keep after it until done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I am pretty sure he meant the "flow dropped", not the pressure.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bamato, we live in Fountain Hills so we get the same dust. If you're talking about the dust storm Saturday night, our pool was a mess too. We use a bit bigger filter and Wanda the Whale to vacuum so I can't help you with the suction issue, but can only tell you that we had to backwash twice before getting all the dust out of the pool and the skimmer basket was completely full of junk.

Diana
    Intex AG 22' x 52" Ultra frame, Intex 2650 pump, sand filter and SWG
    Hayward in-wall skimmer, Wanda the Whale, center fountain, Intex magnetic light

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

How long did you backwash after the dust? It might be harder to get out of the sand. ? A guess, of course. You may need to backwash longer. Did you rinse after the backwash?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

My one post linked to three different threads. THIS was not the intended thread.
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 07-01-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: TFP problems

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    I am pretty sure he meant the "flow dropped", not the pressure.
    It may be, but I can only go by what is written, so I have to make the statement and ask the question. We don't answer questions based on pretty sure, and we do our best not to read into what people are saying.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

When your filter is clogged, the pressure gauge on the filter will read higher instead of lower.

If your pressure is reading lower and you've eliminated the possibility of a suction side leak, then something is plugged up on the suction side of the pump. Do you have plunger valves in place so that you can close off the water to the pump? If so, turn off the pump and close the valves and check inside the leaf basket on the side of the pump. Make sure the hole between it and the pump isn't clogged. With the clear top unscrewed and your filter set to "Filter", open the valve at the return and let water flow backwards thru the filter and the pump. Sometimes this will flush out a bunch of leaves and junk clogged up inside the pump.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

9. Back To Top    #9

Just want to stress, you have to rinse the filter for approximately the same same amount of time you backwash. This may not be your problem now but I just wanted to mention it. I almost trashed a perfectly fine filter because I did not know.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

You were correct in assuming I meant the flow dropped. My mistake.

Thank you for the replies so far. Sorry for the delayed response.

11. Back To Top    #11

I understand that losing water is undesirable but certain things are better wasted rather than vacuumed through the filter.