Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae question

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae question

I don't know what algae in a pool looks like but I think I may have some. Pool water looks beautiful but since I don't have a Polaris right now I have been sweeping the pool regularly. It looks great until I sweep when I sweep the bottom I get this tan cloud of dust that is real fine and the pool gets a cloudy. I have noticed lately small patches of a yellowish/tanish something in places on the bottom.
    30K Gallon 40x20 IG vinyl liner
    1.5HP Hayward Super Pump, a 27" Hayward Pro sand filter and
    Aqua Rite T-15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae question

Do you have one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 link below) so you can post some water readings for us? That would be key. In addition, perhaps post a pic or two so e can see what you are describing. If it is algae, you will need to follow our "SLAM" instructions. The link is below in my signature. Let us know if you have anymore questions, or once you can post some test results. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can get a manual vacuum from Walmart. Here is a link to what the one looks like that I have.

Pool Vacuum Head - Vinyl - PS023 - www.instockpoolsupply.com

It is kind of zen to vacuum your pool or at least it is for me!

If you have been keeping your FC levels up you many have some dead algae.

Do you have a good test kit?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds algae-ish to me. Raise FC to 10 and Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if you have organic matter in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the TF100 kit and it should be here by Friday. I'll post some pics and test results Friday.
    30K Gallon 40x20 IG vinyl liner
    1.5HP Hayward Super Pump, a 27" Hayward Pro sand filter and
    Aqua Rite T-15 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Good job! You got the best one out there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit