SLAM but lingering smell in one skimmer and backswimmers

wwtennant

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Bellaire/TX
My pool is crystal clear with no visible issues. I had a "fishy smell" in one skimmer though and saw one backswimmer in the pool, which I killed. So, I slammed the pool... taking FC to 28 for several days. Post my successful SLAM, the FC has remained in the 20s after 2 days and the smell is back in the skimmer. And, the backswimmers are still around but only in my 2 skimmers- can't imagine what they eat since I have no other insects except occasional June bug.
22k gallon, SWG pool
Temp: 86
FC: 23
CC: 1.0 now
pH: 7.6
TA: 60
CYA: 80
TH: 250
Salt: 3000

But, I just SLAM'd and FC is really high given salt pool so the other readings may not be accurate.

1) So, do I go back to the SLAM again despite success? Even though problem is skimmer only and pool looks great?
2) Is there something special to rid skimmer of algae / "smell"?
3) Any thoughts on these backswimmer (aka True Bugs) that are in my skimmers?

As always, many thanks for your help.... Warren

Warren,

Hummmmmmmm interesting problem. Lets do this one step at a time. I am just going to think outloud.....

-skimmer door-can you see the whole door real good? Is there ANYTHING growing on it? How does the Styrofoam look? Are there any cracks were water can get in and get "stinky"?

-skimmer-are you SURE the valve is turned so that water can and will flow through it?

-skimmer basket-have you emptied it? Is there anything sticking to it? Is the skimmer clean?

-skimmer lines-Have you tried pouring some bleach down it? Not much as you do not want to damage anything.

That's all I have but maybe one of them will help.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.