Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny blue flakes form returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny blue flakes form returns

Hey all,

The last week or so, at times I have tiny blue flakes / crystals coming out of the return jets. Its most noticable in the spa since its shallow and very white. I vacuum the spa to where there isnt a spec of dirt. Turn on the returns for a few minutes. And the little guys collect right under them.

They are about the size of a pencil point (sometimes slightly larger) and very hard. I can break them up and they almost turn into powder. So maybe its some chemical clumping together and getting through the filter?

It doesnt seem like a huge deal but Im really curious to know what it might be.
    About 2-3 weeks ago I replaced the filter grids because of tears. Up until that point I had a horrible metal problem. Thats been completely gone since the new grids were installed.

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 100
    CYA - 30

Thanks a lot
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny blue flakes form returns

Interesting that it happened after you replaced the grids.

I would think about taking your filter apart just to see if there is something in there that is not right.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah not a bad idea. I might do that. I just hate to start messing with it since other than that its working so well.
    I havent been metal free in years
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you or have you had noodles in the pool? That is where my flakes originate.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any mineral cartridges such as Nature2 installed? When I had a Nature2 system installed it busted open and I had small blue and white balls come through the returns.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Do you or have you had noodles in the pool? That is where my flakes originate.
    I think you are 100% right!!! I think the flaking is actually coming from the noodles. I can't believe I didn't realize this earlier.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Do you have any mineral cartridges such as Nature2 installed? When I had a Nature2 system installed it busted open and I had small blue and white balls come through the returns.
    Nope. I definitely think this is coming from the noodles now. Thanks for the help though!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

That happens with my noodles too
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I have also seen blue flakes from a solar cover that is too old and starting to fall apart