Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Helping friend with green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Helping friend with green pool

Here are the specifics: gunite 40,000 gal pool, currently using pucks. The pool went green on him so he asked me for help. I brought my tf100 test kit over and measured...wait for it...

Fc 0
    Ta 10
    Ch 320
    Ph <6.8
    Cya 50

I then tested with his Clorox 6 way strips and got:

Th 500
    Tc 0
    Fc 1
    Ph 6.2
    Ta 0
    Cya 0

I have no idea where to start. Pool math says to add 52 lbs of baking soda, should we start there and try to get the Ta and ph under control? I assume I can start throwing bleach in too, but I think pool party is definitely out for tomorrow.
    20k gal vollyball pool, IG, Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp Pentair Superflo Dual Speed main pump 340042 (2016), 3/4hp Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (2015), Polaris 380 cleaner & Hasa Liquidator w/3/8" upgrade (2013).
    Pool approx 10 years old, liner at least 4 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helping friend with green pool

I'd bring the chlorine into 5 - 8 ppm range then start slowly bringing up the PH.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd get TA up to 60ish and recheck pH & TA again in an hour and raise pH some more and keep plugging in the TA as whatever and the pH as what you read until you get the color on your pH tester to shift. Then SLAM it. When the SLAM is done, deal with fine-tuning the rest.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Solid suggestions, thanks!

So far we have added 16 lbs baking soda and he insisted on some copper-based algaecide. We will test Ta and ph again in an hour.
    20k gal vollyball pool, IG, Vinyl, Sand filter, 1hp Pentair Superflo Dual Speed main pump 340042 (2016), 3/4hp Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (2015), Polaris 380 cleaner & Hasa Liquidator w/3/8" upgrade (2013).
    Pool approx 10 years old, liner at least 4 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

Please tell him NO more copper Tell him that it will do more harm than good in the long run.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit