Cloudy water...test results inside

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
Hey guys! First of all I want to say the BBB method has been super easy. 5 mins a day is all it takes to follow this method. Anyways, I have an issue with slightly cloudy water. When I say slightly, I mean shallow end has a small "tinge" to it. Deep end is cloudy, but main drain is still visualized. Not horrible, but it is noticable and guests have mentioned it. I was hoping for some fresh perspective.

pH 7.6
TA 70
FC 9
CC 0
CYA 80 (I am slowly getting there)
CH 40

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a "baby blue" liner color and it seems like it makes the water look sub par as well :\

Okay Lindz ... hi! :) Your numbers aren't too bad really. The only thing that concerns me is keeping-up with the CYA of 80. So while you are at the target level of 9 right now, if your water ever dropped below that in this heat it may have picked-up some algae.....maybe. With a hint of cloudiness, you could increase your FC a bit more for a couple days to see if that helps. While increased you could also do an overnight FC test (OCLT) to see if you are losing more than 1 ppm of FC during dark hours. If you do lose more than 1 ppm, you might very-well need to just SLAM while it's early. Get it done quicker. :)

Yea, my cya is a well-known issue to most on this forum. Hee hee. I started out with a cya well over 200. What is de? One thing I have thought of is there is a Nature 2 cartridge inline currently. It was from the prev owners. We have just left that cartridge in (well over expired) so we wouldnt have a leak. Wonder if it could be causing a problem

Still having a little cloudy water issue.
Cya down to 70 :)
FC 8
Ph 7.5-7.8ish kinda in between
Ta 80
CH 40

It isn't bad cloudy because I can see main drain fine. But, I will say overall it has a tinge to it and when you focus on something on the bottom such as the main drain or your foot you can see some cloudiness. I haven't added any DE yet. I just don't feel smart enough to do that kind of stuff. There is an inline Nature2 cartridge that I have left in the line so I wouldn't have to take it out of the line but it hasn't been changed in over a year.

Whenever you have to SLAM like you are supposed to be doing now, you do so until:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.
But there's one problem .... you're not at your SLAM/Shock level. With a CYA of 70, your FC should be at 28. So you might want to add some bleach and "Maintain" the FC at level until you pass all 3 items above. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.