Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water...test results inside

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water...test results inside

Hey guys! First of all I want to say the BBB method has been super easy. 5 mins a day is all it takes to follow this method. Anyways, I have an issue with slightly cloudy water. When I say slightly, I mean shallow end has a small "tinge" to it. Deep end is cloudy, but main drain is still visualized. Not horrible, but it is noticable and guests have mentioned it. I was hoping for some fresh perspective.

pH 7.6
    TA 70
    FC 9
    CC 0
    CYA 80 (I am slowly getting there)
    CH 40

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a "baby blue" liner color and it seems like it makes the water look sub par as well :\
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cloudy water...test results inside

have you tried adding a little DE to your filter? There is an article about it in the Pool School area.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay Lindz ... hi! Your numbers aren't too bad really. The only thing that concerns me is keeping-up with the CYA of 80. So while you are at the target level of 9 right now, if your water ever dropped below that in this heat it may have picked-up some algae.....maybe. With a hint of cloudiness, you could increase your FC a bit more for a couple days to see if that helps. While increased you could also do an overnight FC test (OCLT) to see if you are losing more than 1 ppm of FC during dark hours. If you do lose more than 1 ppm, you might very-well need to just SLAM while it's early. Get it done quicker.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, my cya is a well-known issue to most on this forum. Hee hee. I started out with a cya well over 200. What is de? One thing I have thought of is there is a Nature 2 cartridge inline currently. It was from the prev owners. We have just left that cartridge in (well over expired) so we wouldnt have a leak. Wonder if it could be causing a problem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

DE is diatomaceous earth, it's used in certain types of filters. Small quantities can make sand filters work extra good.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is how to Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Still having a little cloudy water issue.
    Cya down to 70
    FC 8
    Ph 7.5-7.8ish kinda in between
    Ta 80
    CH 40

It isn't bad cloudy because I can see main drain fine. But, I will say overall it has a tinge to it and when you focus on something on the bottom such as the main drain or your foot you can see some cloudiness. I haven't added any DE yet. I just don't feel smart enough to do that kind of stuff. There is an inline Nature2 cartridge that I have left in the line so I wouldn't have to take it out of the line but it hasn't been changed in over a year.

8. Back To Top    #8

Take it to shock level to match your CYA. I had the same issue with mines.
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

How long did you keep it at shock level?

10. Back To Top    #10

Whenever you have to SLAM like you are supposed to be doing now, you do so until:
    1. Water is clear
    2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
    3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
    ** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.
    But there's one problem .... you're not at your SLAM/Shock level. With a CYA of 70, your FC should be at 28. So you might want to add some bleach and "Maintain" the FC at level until you pass all 3 items above. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    How long did you keep it at shock level?
    I'm still at SLAM level until my water gets clear.
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner