Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water.....Again

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water.....Again

My water is starting to get cloudy again. 3 weeks ago the water was so cloudy I couldnt see the bottom. I tried to spike the FC with Burnout 75 and it cleared up overnight, but now heading down that road again. I purchased a new test kit, and here are my readings this morning:

SWG
    30,000 gal vinyl
    CYA 7
    FC .1
    TC .1
    PH 8.5
    TA 163
    Total Hardness 382
    Salt 3400 (on SWG display)

What do you recommend?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water.....Again

Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit do you have?
    Your numbers do not make sense for it to be one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process since the FC level has dropped so low and you have had cloudy water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just purchased the Taylor K-2006 and opened it today (haven't used it yet). The test results came from my local pool store this morning.
    Outdoor, 16x42 30,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, AquaRite T-Cell15 Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, we do not trust pool store testing ... so report YOUR numbers
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Get your kit opened up and stay out of the pool store. Who cares about your pool the most?.......You or the pool store.

Post up some meaningful numbers from that new kit and we'll get started. Don't worry if your numbers don't match.....they won't

Of course you chlorine is non-existent so be prepared to
    SLAM the pool and buy LOTS of bleach.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, will test tonight......

I have had this pool for 6 years and have had no problems with this issue. If my water started to get cloudy I would run the SWG on Super Chlorinate for 24 hours and all was good again????
    Outdoor, 16x42 30,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, AquaRite T-Cell15 Chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

Also go to your AquaRite display and toggle through the diagnostic readings. Post those here too. Want to ensure your saltwater generator is working properly. My pool only gets cloudy if the SWG stops working for some reason. Multiple reasons for that to happen. Need to find the root cause in addition to clearing up the algae, which it sounds like you have. These guys can help you with the SWG issue and the algae problem. Listen to them. I did and I'm a TFP believer now!
    19,800 gal fiberglass pool; Hayward Pro sand filter (S244T) w/ vari-flo xl valve; 1.5 hp challenger pump; Aquarite SWG w/ T-15 cell; Dolphin DX3 auto vacuum; TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Well a random 24 hour boost would not be one of our recommendations either. Adding bleach is faster.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS to keep the water clear and safe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I used to try to boost with my swg but it is too slow and unpredictable. A gallon of 8.25% bleach gives you an instant 4ppm boost, for 20k pool. So, if you're sitting at 6 or 7 mostly just add a gallon to get you to 10 ppm before a big swim day. I test and add back to 10 right after and then take it back to 10 one more time 2-3 hours later, usually 1/2 gallon or less. That keeps you clear and ready for the next pool party.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, here are my numbers with my K-2006 kit

FC .4
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 225
    CA260
    CYA <30 (tube full, dot still visible)

11. Back To Top    #11

Add 30ppm of CYA in a sock, lower the pH, then start the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator