Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter leaking through backwash hole

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter leaking through backwash hole

Hi! I just had my pool installed this weekend. I went to turn on the pump and there is water leaking out of the backwash hole. I have read about the spider gasket and the o-ring, but this filter is brand new. Does this sound normal?

My pool: Sharkline Venture 24' x 52" ; Pentair Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Pump ; Pentair SD80 Sand Filter; TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter leaking through backwash hole

No, it is not normal for water to leak out the backwash port.
    Must be an issue with the gasket.
    Did you buy from the installer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I bought it separately. I will stop by the pool store and get a gasket tonight. Do you think I could still run the pump so that I can get my chemicals balanced?

My pool: Sharkline Venture 24' x 52" ; Pentair Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Pump ; Pentair SD80 Sand Filter; TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would turn the pump off and move the backwash valve and make sure it is seated in filter mode. No reason for it to be leaking ... and no reason to buy a new gasket when you have not even looked at the existing one to see if there is a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have moved it around a few times and even just to recirculate and water is still coming out. Looks worse than before, in reference to how much water is coming out.

6. Back To Top    #6

My water is just got to the skimmer today. Should I have done something else than just setting it to filter?

7. Back To Top    #7

It should just be set to filter. Trying pulling up on the handle a little bit.
    Might just need to open up the valve and see if there is something on the gasket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Just replaced my spider gasket to solve this issue, but it's very strange on new parts.. I'd open it up and take a look, maybe some silicone lube.
    ~30kgal in-ground concrete
    Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter
    Hayward 1HP pump