Need help removing dead algae from an above ground pool

Jun 30, 2015
San Antonio
Hi everyone,

This is my second year with an above ground pool. I have a 16x48 Summer Escapes metal frame pool. Last year was a nightmare with the weak filter system it came with. I upgraded to a sand and salt water system this summer and it's been great for a few months! We went out of town for a week and experienced very heavy rains while we were gone. The rain triggered the GFCI so there was no circulation going on. I came back to a green pool, I used HTH Green to Blue and it killed off the algae now it's at the bottom of the pool. I tried to vacuum to waste but the water level quickly goes below the skimmer port and I have to fill up and try again. Is there an easier/better way to do this?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So vacuum in normal filter mode and backwash the filter after.

But ... the Green to Blue is not a recommended method of ensuring all the algae is dead. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to be sure and to do that you need to have one of the Recommended Test Kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

What test kit are you using to ensure you maintain adequate FC levels as a function of your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Hey All,

Sorry for the late reply I was in an accident shortly after my initial post and I've been bed ridden since then. The water turned green again since I could not tend to it. I throw a 1lb bag of HTH shock (Walmart was out of green to blue) in it last night but its still green. I ran out and bought a test kit and here are my readings.

ClBr: .5-1 (the water was crystal clear)
pH: 8.2
CYA: 0
Alka: 130-140

I'm going to try another shock treatment tonight, clean my salt system and see if there's an improvement tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.