Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help removing dead algae from an above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help removing dead algae from an above ground pool

Hi everyone,

This is my second year with an above ground pool. I have a 16x48 Summer Escapes metal frame pool. Last year was a nightmare with the weak filter system it came with. I upgraded to a sand and salt water system this summer and it's been great for a few months! We went out of town for a week and experienced very heavy rains while we were gone. The rain triggered the GFCI so there was no circulation going on. I came back to a green pool, I used HTH Green to Blue and it killed off the algae now it's at the bottom of the pool. I tried to vacuum to waste but the water level quickly goes below the skimmer port and I have to fill up and try again. Is there an easier/better way to do this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help removing dead algae from an above ground pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

So vacuum in normal filter mode and backwash the filter after.

But ... the Green to Blue is not a recommended method of ensuring all the algae is dead. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to be sure and to do that you need to have one of the Recommended Test Kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

What test kit are you using to ensure you maintain adequate FC levels as a function of your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Like JB said...Vacuum normally, if you can get some DE from Lowes/home depot it can help catch finer particles. Just back wash and add more afterwards.

21,200 gallon/ 30' vinyl round above ground pool/ 200# hayward sand filter/1.5 hp hayward pump (70gl/m) /
    /self installed pool about 3 years ago - Smithfield, VA- Pool filled with well water -TF100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey All,

Sorry for the late reply I was in an accident shortly after my initial post and I've been bed ridden since then. The water turned green again since I could not tend to it. I throw a 1lb bag of HTH shock (Walmart was out of green to blue) in it last night but its still green. I ran out and bought a test kit and here are my readings.

ClBr: .5-1 (the water was crystal clear)
    pH: 8.2
    CYA: 0
    Alka: 130-140

I'm going to try another shock treatment tonight, clean my salt system and see if there's an improvement tomorrow.

5. Back To Top    #5

One bag of shock here and there won't work to get rid of a bad bloom. You need to constantly attack it with liquid chlorine/bleach. Based on your CYA level which is tested with recommended test kits.

21,200 gallon/ 30' vinyl round above ground pool/ 200# hayward sand filter/1.5 hp hayward pump (70gl/m) /
    /self installed pool about 3 years ago - Smithfield, VA- Pool filled with well water -TF100 kit