Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boost pump making god aweful sound

1. Back To Top    #1
    Denton, TX

Boost pump making god aweful sound

Rebuilt my boost pump because the ceramic seal had cracked and it was leaking.
    I got the new impeller, and seals.

I had removed that tiny little rubber gasket that goes around the axel for lack of a better term.
    At the shop I said, I need that little one for the rod that turns the impeller.

Guy at the shop said you don't need that it really doesn't do anything

1. Is that true?
    2. Could not having that be why my boost pump is making a horrible loud high pitched whining noise?

Kinda sounds like metal on metal.
    It is so loud I really can't use the pump because it will irritate neighbors.
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Boost pump making god aweful sound

Your boosters bearings are probably shot because the seal leaked water on to them.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Wildomar, California

Re: Boost pump making god aweful sound

Ditto. Bad bearings due to the leaking seal. The rubber piece you mention is called a slinger. Its meant to keep water out of the front of the motor, like from a leaking seal