Does TFTestkits ship to Canada?

Re: Good test kit / bad test kit

No, unfortunately TFTestkits cannot ship to Canada because Taylor Technologies uses a single exclusive master distributor in Canada (Lowry & Associates) and the reagents and some parts in the TFTestkits kits come from Taylor. You can contact Lowry & Associates to find where the Taylor K-2006 kit is sold in Canada.

Re: Good test kit / bad test kit

thanks.

So it is a distribution issue not an issue with sending the chemicals/product. Therefore, I could send to a PO BOX and bring it across the border on my own
Correct. It is entirely a distribution issue as Chem Geek stated. Lowery has an exclusive in Canada and charges for their position.

The same chemicals/reagents are sold int he Taylor K-2006, but the K-2006 has different quantities of some reagents.

Many members have ordered kits to be delivered near the border ... either to friends/family or a mailbox. tftestkits just does not need to know what you are going to do with it after delivery ;)

Careful Mike or you address may become very popular with your northern neighbors :lol:

Technically speaking, if a Canadian buys something in the U.S. and transports it across the border, you typically have to pay excise taxes on the item. Also, chemicals are a completely different beast from mere merchandise. Many countries place strict limits (and prohibitions) on shipping chemicals across borders. In the U.S., there is a special designation for pool chemicals in the Postal code that allows small quantities to be shipped. If that special designation was not in the law, we all would be at the mercy of the distribution chain.

Careful bringing your chems across the border, you don't want to get detained ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, one reason that it's more expensive in Canada is that Lowry had to pay for various chemical safety certifications for importing some of these chemicals and also pay for import taxes with each shipment. Basically, some of the organic dyes are toxic chemicals (i.e. you don't want to drink them) so are regulated quite heavily. DPD in particular is one such chemical. By purchasing in the U.S. and carrying it over, you are bypassing Canada's specific regulations in this area.

Of course, lots of people on both sides of the border go to the other side when something is less expensive or more available. I suspect that the border patrol isn't going to question you about items in small quantities for personal use, but if you were to transport enough that it looks like you are going to resell, then that would be a problem. As noted in this link, you get a personal exemption of up to CAN $200 IF you stay in the U.S. for at least 24 hours. If you are a same-day cross-border shopper, you get no exemption. As for the duty itself, this link doesn't give a category that would fit for test kits and the issue is more about the hazardous material issue (acute toxicity). You might contact the border information service (from within Canada) at 1-800-461-9999 to ask them what the expected duty would be for the Taylor K-2006 kit (i.e. a residential pool testing kit).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, quite a price jump for the FAS DPD

the "Recommended Test Kits" link shows the TF100 to be more than adequate for a season however since getting the kit is quite a bother for us Canadians, is it worth it to order the refill kit at the same so I have plenty of chemicals or will the extra stock loose shelf life?

I would not order more than the XL option with the TF-100. tftestkits guarantees the reagents for 18 months, but you may not want to try to stock up for multiple years. You can likely get refills locally for just about anything besides the FAS-DPD test.

:eek:
. You might contact the border information service (from within Canada) at 1-800-461-9999 to ask them what the expected duty would be for the Taylor K-2006 kit (i.e. a residential pool testing kit).

good idea, thank you. Worst case they charge me duty. I collect vintage diecast cars and send a lot to the NY State PO Box. My friend brings them across and never lies when asked about what he is declaring. They have never stopped him or charged duty on my toys, so a test kit should be ok. But because of the "chemicals" it doesnt hurt to play safe and call first

Yes, one reason that it's more expensive in Canada is that Lowry had to pay for various chemical safety certifications for importing some of these chemicals and also pay for import taxes with each shipment. Basically, some of the organic dyes are toxic chemicals (i.e. you don't want to drink them) so are regulated quite heavily. DPD in particular is one such chemical. By purchasing in the U.S. and carrying it over, you are bypassing Canada's specific regulations in this area.

Of course, lots of people on both sides of the border go to the other side when something is less expensive or more available. I suspect that the border patrol isn't going to question you about items in small quantities for personal use

Yes, you should be fine. They're "Consumer Products". WHMIS (hazmat labeling) and MSDS requirements do not apply to Consumer Products. "Controlled products that are packaged as consumer products and in quantities used by the general public are exempt from WHMIS supplier label and MSDS requirements."

HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES: Does WHMIS Apply to ‘Consumer Products’ Like Cleaning Supplies and Glue? - OHS Insider OHS Insider

The supplier labelling and MSDS requirements of WHMIS are set out under the federal Hazardous Products Act (HPA) and associated Controlled Products Regulations (CPR) which are administered by the National Office of WHMIS.

Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System - Official National Site - Health Canada

"A product which falls within any of the hazard criteria set out in Part IV of the CPR is a WHMIS "controlled product" and, unless exempt under section 12 of the HPA, is subject to the MSDS and labelling requirements of the HPA. Section 13 of the Hazardous Products Act (HPA) places a legal requirement on the Canadian supplier of a WHMIS controlled product "intended for use in a work place in Canada" to transmit a MSDS and apply a label disclosing prescribed information as a condition of sale. Section 14 of the HPA places a legal requirement on the Canadian importer of a controlled product to obtain or prepare a MSDS and to ensure that the requisite label is applied as a condition of importation. "

WHMIS 1988 — Requirements under HPA and CPR

WHMIS Exclusion for a Consumer Product

By virtue of paragraph 12(f) of the HPA, a "consumer product" is exempt from the WHMIS supplier requirements of this Act, i.e., from the WHMIS supplier label and MSDS requirements of the HPA if it is a consumer product as defined in the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA).

A "consumer product" is defined in section 2 of the CCPSA as “a product including its components, parts or accessories, that may reasonably be expected to be obtained by an individual to be used for non-commercial purposes, including for domestic, recreational and sports purposes, and includes its packaging”:

Frequently Asked Questions for the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act - Health Canada

In other words "any controlled product that's packaged as a consumer product and in quantities normally used by the general public is generally exempt from WHMIS and MSDS. An item is generally considered to be packaged as a consumer product” if it’s: (a) In a container of a size and type usually sold to the general public; and (b) available for sale to the general public through retail outlets."

HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES: Does WHMIS Apply to ‘Consumer Products’ Like Cleaning Supplies and Glue? - OHS Insider OHS Insider

"If a supplier intends to sell a product to both consumer and workplaces, does the supplier have the option of using the labelling specified in the CCCR versus that specified in the WHMIS Controlled Products Regulations (CPR) or vice versa? Answer: If a product, material or substance is included in Part II of Schedule I to the HPA and it is available to consumers, it cannot be sold unless it meets the requirements of the CCCR."

The proportion of sales of the product to consumers versus industrial customers is currently not a condition for the exclusion from WHMIS supplier label and MSDS requirements.

"What are a supplier's obligations to commercial customers who request a WHMIS supplier label and MSDS for a product included in Part II of Schedule I to the HPA, available in one size and if this single product is sold directly to both consumers and commercial customers? Answer: The requirements of the CCCR must be met before this product can be sold to consumers. The HPA does not place any obligation on a supplier to adopt WHMIS supplier labelling and MSDSs for commercial sales even if commercials sales constitute the vast majority of total sales. In such a case, a supplier does have the option of using WHMIS labelling and providing MSDSs in respect of commercial sales for products intended for workplace use."

Reference Manual for the WHMIS Requirements of the Hazardous Products Act and Controlled Products Regulations: Table of Contents

Wow, that is a lot of information, thanks for all that !!!!!!:p

A little troublesome to deal with TF Kits and postal boxes, etc etc etc. So I contacted Lowry and Associates. Boy, were they ever helpful and knowledgeable. Without me ever mentioning this forum the girl who assisted me actually suggested Trouble Free Pool as a great resource :eek:

The K2005 is bit much for me. They were even willing to customize a set for just the more important tests! But still a tad much since a new lawn mower was much needed this week (wife ran over a tree stump, gee thanx hun for helping with the yard work.... ;) )

For now, I opted for the K1004. It has everything I need just no FAS -DPD, only DPD. I realize any FC around 5 means I wont be able to determine Total therefore no Combined, but it is still a great little kit. At least the kit will tell me measureable FC to 5ppm. If FC is that high I know there is an issue and if FC is high I can investigate issues with Combined by monitoring how much chlorine I am putting in and pool activity. As long as FC is in check then this kit will provide a measure of TC and CC.

The girl at Lowry was very helpful with trying to determine why my PH is always so high too. Lesson learned with pool store tests. She bet my TA was out of wack. I mentioned the pool store "computer test" was telling me TA was too low and I should be raising TA. So like a good little customer I buy the "stuff" and start dumping it in.

Guess what the K1004 told me? Surprise surprise, my TA is way high. 190pmm high to be exact. ARRRRGGGGGGG

So, I completely redo everything I did an start to lower the TA. Using only the K1004 and no store's assistance, I brought the TA down to 110ppm. PH took a tumble too, but it settled at a good range around 7.2. I decided to raise it just a tad to 7.5.

For the first time in three seasons, according to the K1004 my PH and TA have been just right, and holding steady for about a week even after a rainfall.

Yep, quality test kit is essential.

I may add the FAS-DPD to next years kit. But at least this summer, I feel my water is better balanced than ever before without any trips to the pool store!!!!!!

So the K-1004 kit has all three chlorine reagents in it (R-0001, R-0002 & R-0003). If you get the High Chlorine comparator block (p/n 9056), then you can at least have a FC range up to 10ppm. Perhaps you can call Lowry & Associates and ask them to sell you a 9056 High chlorine comparator block. In the US it runs about $11. See this post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.