Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New blue blob pool -combined chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

New blue blob pool -combined chlorine question

Brand new pool owner here, excuse the ignorance please...I set up a 12' x 30" summer escapes blue blob on Saturday. I have gotten the water fairly balanced (fc 4, pH 7.2, alk 100). However, I bought a new test kit that is supposed to give combined chlorine results also (by checking the color of fc test after 5 minutes instead of within first 10 seconds). The scale of this test only goes up to a 3. My FC is a bit brighter than 3 so I'm guessing it's a 4. After 5 min, there is no change whatsoever in color. In fact, over two hours later still no change. My first question is, do you feel as though this result is accurate? It is a simple test kit purchased from a true value hardware store (NOT dip sticks though). And if this result is likely to be accurate, how should I proceed? I'm trying to use the BBB method as much as possible. However I did buy a container of HTH shock (labeled for pop up pools). I have bleach on hand but don't know that I have quite enough to slam with. I have not added cya yet, as i was told by a friend i shouldnt use that product until everything is where it needs to be.

So... should I shock? If so...better to do at night? Is it safe for my kids to swim today? Should I make a trip for more bleach instead of using HTH shock? Any advice appreciated. I would continue to search for answers online but have a 8 month old and 3 year old, therefore, my free time is limited. Lol

Another area of confusion is trying to determine exactly how many gallons of water I'm treating. The pool fill line only allows for 24 inches of water. The bottom is 12', but blow up ring at top is less than 10 feet. The manual says max capacity of 1586, but other places online where they are selling this pool show a capacity of 1471 and even 1356. So I don't know what to go off of. Been using 1500 in the meantime.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New blue blob pool -combined chlorine question

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you read our Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I did. Thanks. The link to tell me water capacity was a bad link. I didn't really find much info regarding combined chlorine. And since posting I have learned that the chlorine tablets I'm trying to use up, have some stabilizing effect to them. (Will use bleach only once thise are gone). So I have added half of the recommended dose of stabilizer to a tube sock in the water. Will retest in a week and go from there. Still wondering if I should shock due to no change in the color of my cc test compared to fc results.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ideally, you will see no change because ideally, you have zero CC.

FC is the good stuff. CC is the bad stuff.

I mean, if you want to see some CC, go pee in the pool and test ten minutes later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Richard. I have read the instructions on my test kit again and I think i had simply misunderstood them. I was thinking the color should fade if no CC present.