MazerMadness

Hi All,

Just joined up this week. New to pools. Never had one growing up. We bought our house last summer and it has a 27 ft diameter above ground pool. It's approximately 15 years old and the liner is original based on information provided by the previous owner. Equipped with a ~2010 Jacuzzi Laser 190 sand filter and brand new pentair 1HP pump.

With all the housework, we didn't open it last summer so this is our first year with it. The previous owner had not opened it in the last two years he lived there. So this thing has been sitting idle for about 3 years total.

We took the winter cover off the last week of May. Netted out a few hundred pounds of leaves and other debris, which resulted in pool water that was deep dark brown. We began taking periodic trips to the local pool for advise and chemicals. That treatment turned the water to a light cloudy green but never progressed from there.

After a couple weeks of tinkering, replacing sand as recommended by pool store, etc. and a fit of frustration, I decided to siphon the nasty water out of the pool, bought a K2006 test kit and logged on to TFP. Refilled the pool (the water was as green as grass) and began using the SLAM method and following the "Turning your green swamp into a sparkling Oasis" post as my bible. I'm happy to say that after only a few days, my pool is a cloudy blue. I made a couple mistakes along the way, ie. not lowering the pH before SLAMing and waiting too long to realize my CYA was only 15. But I finally feel good that I've got clear direction on how to get this sucker clear. Just hope my filter is up for the task of clearing the cloudines...remains to be seen. In any event, Sincerest Thanks to all the experts on here. My sanity is preserved.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Seems like you have a good handle on things, so I'm not going to start throwing out suggestions.

Just don't give up too early. When it starts looking good many people stop before everything in the water is dead.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.

Welcome! Perhaps next time you're on the site, just update your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Great to have you with us.

Thanks All.

The folks at my local pool store tell me every time I'm in there to wait as long as possible before back washing my sand filter. They say the filter is more effective when it's dirty and I should only backwash when water is just trickling out of the return jet. I've read elsewhere to backwash more frequently, especially when in the process of clearing a green pool. What should my back washing frequency be while SLAMing a green pool?

We recommend you backwash when the filter pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If you do it too often, you will not filter as well. If you wait as long as they are suggesting, the flow is so low you are not really cleaning much water.

Happy to report that my pool is clear. As it turns out, my sand filter wasn't up to the task of clearing the cloudiness. I decided to purchase a container of Phosphate remover. Brought the pool up to Shock level saturday morning, let circulate for 1 hour then turned pump off. Sprayed the phosphate remover on the surface of the pool and 36 hours later, all the dead algae had settled to the bottom and the water was clear. Vacuumed to waste and looking good. Part of me wonders if I had turned the pump off and let it sit for 36 hours, the dead algae would have settled to the bottom without phosphate remover. I hope to never have to find out. :)