Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lynngmarshall-new above ground pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face lynngmarshall-new above ground pool owner

Hello! I'm Lynn and we just purchased a home with a 24' round above ground pool in Rockingham, NC about a month ago. We were going to get rid of the pool after we seen the black water in the pool and the amount of tadpoles/frogs! I came across Trouble Free Pool and decided to see what I could do, especially since the pool is only a few years old and is in great condition. I'm still working on clearing/shocking the water, but compared to what it was, it looks great! I'm so glad that I found this site!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lynngmarshall-new above ground pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!

Are you randomly shocking the water or have you found the SLAM Process?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been working on the SLAM process and it looks better, but still some cloudiness. I haven't been able to monitor as much during the day and it's been extremely hot here. I see some little improvements everyday & I can now see the fourth step at the bottom of the pool! I was trying to get my CYA up from zero & I think I am a little high now, as it is measuring between 60-70. So I'm having to up my slamming levels! So much to learn, but so thankful for this website!

4. Back To Top    #4

The higher you take the CYA the more chlorine you need to achieve shock level.

What test kit are you using and can you post a full set of test results.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using the TF-100. I have only been testing the FC & CYA levels so far. This morning my FC was 18 and my CYA was 60-70. I have added the bleach recommended on "poolmath" and going to trying to keep my FC at 28. Should I be testing the other levels also during the slamming process? If so, I can get those levels and post them after I finish painting. I didn't have the test kit in the beginning & probably should have waiting on my slamming process.

6. Back To Top    #6

No point in testing anything except the FC and CC during the SLAM process.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

And we must have pics! 😉
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

I just tested and my FC is 23 and CYA is about 70. I'm getting ready to add 104 oz. of bleach per Pool Math. Should I drain any water from the pool or just keep slamming & see what happens? I will try to get a picture of our pool this afternoon. Thank you so much!
    13,500 gallon, 24' x 4' AG round
    Sand Dollar Pentair 1.5 HP
    TF-100
    Well water

9. Back To Top    #9

The SLAM process will work. If you replaced some water to lower the CYA, you would just have have to maintain as high of a FC level. But over the course of the SLAM process, you should use a similar amount of bleach either way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!