The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

dakemi

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2015
Honolulu/HI
Hi, I found this site about a month ago when my husband let me try my hand at turning our green pool back to blue. He fired the pool svc about 2 years ago and has been taking water samples to the pool store and buying shock at their suggestions but the pool has steadily turned green with algae stains. I've followed the directions I've learned at TFP and the pool is now blue but the algae stains are still there. I had to stop the SLAM because my husband wanted it swimmable for Father's Day and it looked pretty good. But now I notice that the algae is creeping back. Fourth of July is this wkend and I know he will want it swimmable then. What can I do from now till then? Should I add bleach daily to keep the FC at 4 at least? I seem to be losing a heck of a lot of FC overnight. Also, my CH is super high and during a drought in Nevada its not feasable to drain 40% esp since I don't know if the city water is CA free.
Test results today:
FC 1.0
CC 2.0
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 700
CYA 40 (added 1lb in sock day before yesterday when CYA was 30)
No Borates
Have been using only bleach.
Thank you for your advice!

With 40 CYA it should NEVER be below 3 and 5 is a better target. If you are not going to attack the SLAM until after the 4th I would keep the FC even higher, like 10. Shock is 16 and you can swim at any level below that.

No more CYA until after the SLAM and then you will bring it up to 50 at least in you r sunny location.

I'm sure better Chen experts will join in soon but for now: Up your cl level. Bleach is good for that. Your other numbers are in acceptable ranges. You didn't give your filter run time but increasing the amount of time your pump is running should help in keeping your pool clean and clear.

I would plan on slamming for at least these next 3 days, I would recommend that you before you go to bed on July 3rd that your CL be at 16. It should be below that by the time you wake up and will be reduced even more by the time you start swimming if the sun is out. You just want to make sure that your CL is at or below 16 at the time of swimming.

Hello dakemi who is in the Biggest Little City in the World - Reno. :) Tim nails it above since you plan on swimming this weekend. Good that YOU are in charge of your pool now. You're correct - FC is going fast, not only from the sun, but also because it is fighting algae as evidence by your water condition and CC level over .5 ppm. Hang in there for now. After everyone is water-logged from the 4th of July festivities, you put down the rule of the land and tell everyone the pool is off-limits until the SLAM is complete. Remember the 3 criteria:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
Have a great holiday weekend.

Tim recommended 10ppm and Rocco suggested you go ahead and start the SLAM at 16 ppm (but let it drop below 16 for the 4th swim). With these recommendations, I'm wondering why you are targeting 5 ppm. You have a few days before the 4th to get a head start on the SLAM and I think that's a good idea.

I raised the FC to 10 and just learned that a bunch of neighborhood kids are coming over for a swim tomorrow. Should I just maintain it at 10 (I'll buy stock in Clorox Company) till after the 4th when I can ban everyone during the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.