Thread: cloudy pool after pool turned green

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool after pool turned green

Ph 7.4
    Chw 35
    Free chlorine 5
    Tc 5
    Alk 100
    I shocked my pool with liquid chlorine and it cleared up but is still cloudy. I put some clairfyer in and turned off filter. Once I vacum all the stuff it seems to get worse as i go. I also vacum every day and wash out the cartridge filter. My filter is is less than 1 year old. My pool is above ground 24ft round 54in deep with hayward tablet autofeeder set to 6. I've been fighting this problem for almost 2 weeks. The pool store says my levels are good too. I do not have a good testing kit but I trust my pool store because they haven't tried yett to sell me stuff I didn't need so far hehe. Any advice would be great

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy pool after pool turned green

Hi, welcome to TFP! The pool store may be nice and not try to sell you stuff you don't need, but you don't know how accurate their testing is, and you did not include a test for CYA! CYA is a critical piece of information to determine if the pool has sufficient chlorine. You are using tablet on a high setting so I suspect your CYA level is going to be high. Our definition of good and the pool store's definition of good often do not match at all! This is why we recommend purchasing a test kit as an investment in your pool. You will be able to test under the same conditions around the same time of day using the same methods. This will yield consistent, reliable results so you can dose the pool correctly. We recommend a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . Using a good, high quality test kit will help you take control of your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

They said it was Cya is 35. I just miss typed it chw. I'm am ordering the k2006 today

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

please post your numbers when you recieve your kit... I bet your numbers are way off compared to the pool store... fi you have had that tablet feeder on 6 for more than this year you CYA is probably up way up there..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the Lamott color q 7 2056 digital any good?

6. Back To Top    #6

Lots of mixed reviews on that product here in TFP. That's why we recommend the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. You can't go wrong with those.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wpayton34 View Post
    Is the Lamott color q 7 2056 digital any good?
    I believe the FC test on that unit tops out at 10ppm.

That's not going to cut it if you have to SLAM, or if you have high CYA.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok picked up the taylor test kit.
    Fc10
    Tac 10
    Ch 180
    Cya 45
    Ta 60
    Ph 7.2
    I had them test the water while I was there today also and the only dif is they had Cya at 50 ,TA 80 and ph 7.4
    What ya guys think? We have been having a lot of rain also in chciago. I also shocked yesterday with 2 gal of liquid.

9. Back To Top    #9

The lady was suggesting picking up algeside. Is that worth doing. She said there is no copper in it

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Skip the algaecide and SLAM that pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

The CYA scale is not linear, 45 is not directly in-between 40 & 50.

Refer to the Chlorine/CYA level chart & raise your FC to 20ppm (use 50ppm CYA reading). You need to MAINTAIN that FC level until you pass the 3 criteria need to complete a SLAM.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

You are done when:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    3. And the water is clear.

Once you satisfy those 3 requirements you can let your FC drift down to maintenance levels per the Chlorine/CYA chart.

Good luck, stick with it and you will have the clearest pool you have ever seen.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ty I'll have to start tomarrow. On the Cya thing. When I tested the dot dissapeared in between 45 and 50. So do u just round up then?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, always round CYA up to the next 10
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

well I think I bought the wrong kit. I was told it was the same as the taylor k-2006 but leslies pools brand. ITs made by taylor but they just stick a sticker on it and I just looked it up on there website and its a k2005. Will this kit still work? http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-te...?suggest=81330

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok pools back to normal. I did pick up the fas-dpd kit here's my numbers:
    14 fc
    2cc
    7.0 ph
    80 Ta
    50 Cya
    170 calcium hardness
    My ph level is low now. Should I add ph increase or is the low ph caused my clorhine is so high?

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

No, your PH is off when your chlorine is above 10.. Keep your slam going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

16. Back To Top    #16

Great ty you guys