Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC climbing

1. Back To Top    #1

CC climbing

Hi folks, I had a new liner installed June 17, my FC has never been below 4.0 with a CYA of 30 on June 25.
    PH started out at 7.5 and is now 7.8 and holding since June 26.
    June 29 numbers were:
    Ph 7.8
    FC 7.0
    CC 1.5
    TA 80
    CYA 50
    CH 125
    Salt 4000 < I know it's high but it is coming down.
    My concern is the CC had been holding at 0.5 from the start but then was 1.0 on June 28 has climbed to 1.5.
    The pool water is crystal clear so I hope someone can give me an idea of what is going on and what to do.
    Ernie
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CC climbing

WOW! This is brand new water too. Hummmmmm Will you please do an OCLT tonight? THAT will help show if anything is brewing.

I would also push my FC up to SLAM level for a few days as well just in case something is trying to brew due to the new vinyl.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Ernie. Well, a rising CC tends to indicate you may have some residual matter in your water. It's one of a few things we as pool owners look at to see if we have the on-set of an algae bloom coming. Your FC looks to have been at a good level, but sometimes things happen beyond our control or that we just don't realize. Not sure if your new liner has anything to do with that - it's possible. I would suggest doing an overnight test (OCLT). Check your FC at night before bed then again in AM before the sun rises to see if you lost any more than 1 ppm of FC. If you did, that would be an indicator you may need to SLAM. Now that your CYA is 50, your FC target is 6, so definitely keep it above that. If you do not lose FC overnight, the increased cc may just be residual from the liner and need a little time to get neutralized/filtered. We'll see if anyone else has a comment to add.

Also, your PH is on the high end, so you may want to bring that down by about 2-3 ppm. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Kim and Texas Splash,
    I just shut off the SWG and will test tonight and in the morning. I added 4 pounds of powdered stabilizer yesterday after testing to raise my CYA level to the recommended 70 - 80 level on the chart for vinyl liner/ SWG pool.
    Will this affect my tests tonight?
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator

5. Back To Top    #5

You should not turn off your SWG. You will only turn it off at night for the OCLT.
    You want to keep your FC above your minimum level according to your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Since you also added CYA yesterday, you need to take that into account and have your FC to the level with the new CYA addition.
    12x20 vinyl liner + fiberglass steps. (6800 Gallons)
    SWCG - Hayward Salt&Swim 3C
    Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter (200 SQ.FT)
    Hayward TriStar VSP
    Raypak heat pump, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's correct about the SWG - turn it off tonight before you take your starting FC reading. Tomorrow morning you will check to see how the pool maintained that FC on its own. And adding stabilizer yesterday should not effect tonight/tomorrow morning's OCLT. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Get fC up around 10 for OCLT. Is there any chance that there was some algae brewing in the filter while the liner was getting replaced? Let's see what oclt says and the hold FC higher to knock out whatever is causing the CC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

SWG back on, thanks again

9. Back To Top    #9

Pooldv, water in the filter sat from May 6 until June 19, I'm thinking I should backwash and add new DE. your thoughts?

10. Back To Top    #10

I think that a good backwash and rinse would be a good idea to make sure there is nothing hiding in there. The DE would not hurt anything and might help. Just keep an eye on it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Interesting problem, I think the culprits could be the filter. What about ladders? Did the have any water in them that could be hiding algae?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Defgufman, Pool ladders are brand new, just installed this last week, post disappeared with my numbers and MarianParoo's and pooldv's advice.

13. Back To Top    #13

Last night's numbers:
    CYA 60
    FC 10.5
    CC 0.5
    TA 90
    Salt 4400
    CH 125
    PH 7.8
    this mornings numbers:
    CYA 60
    FC 10
    CC 1.0
    TA 80
    Salt 4200
    CH 125
    PH 7.8
    Salt down 200, FC 0.5 down, CC 0.5 up, and TA down 10

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi folks,
    Todays numbers not adding anything, water taken midway between shallow and deep ends, inverting bottle to fill down in pool as far as I can reach and covering as I take it out(thanks MarianParoo)
    CYA 60 same
    FC 11.0 up 1.0
    CC 0.5 down ).5
    TA 80 same as yesterday
    Salt 4200 same as yesterday
    CH 125 same as yesterday
    PH 7.8 same as yesterday
    pool 79 degrees
    I'm headed to Menards for more stabilizer, pool math says 27 ounces powder will raise CYA to 70 and lower my PH to 7.5. which is where I need to be for vinyl and SWG
    Ideas on my roller-coaster CC levels?
    Ernie

15. Back To Top    #15

Do you have a speed stir? When I run the cc test every once in a while the liquid turns pink for a split second after each drop.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi wjr75, Yes I have a speedstir and ran CYA, FC, and CC twice.
    I don't know all that much but the pool is clear, sparkling blue, and doesn't smell like chlorine. Hopefully someone will see this and have some experience with this.
    Ernie

17. Back To Top    #17

Ever use mps ( non chlorine shock/oxidizer)?

18. Back To Top    #18

JamesW, I never have used non-chlorine shock/oxidizer. The only stabilizer I have used is Clorox step-1 CYA.

19. Back To Top    #19

Seems like it might be time to open up that DE filter and give it a good cleaning.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi folks, Happy Fourth of July! Especially those who are serving or have served in our Military.
    July 2 numbers:
    CYA 60
    FC 10
    CC 1.0
    TA 80
    Salt 4200
    CH 125
    PH 7.8
    Todays numbers:
    CYA 60
    FC 13 <had the SWG on too high, I must have Read it wrong after I did the OCLT
    CC 0.0 <WOOHOO!!
    TA 80
    Salt 4200
    CH 125
    PH 7.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast