I have a very small hole in the wall that is about 2 inches from the bottom of the pool. I also have no experience patching vinyl pools.
I found this in the summer. We bought a patch kit and tried it. The instructions were pretty weak and I didn't like the way the whole thing went down. The leak is so deep that by the time you get to it there are only seconds before you run out of air. My daughter was able to get the patch over the hole and it lasted until the cleaner dislodged it.
1. I didn't like the glue. It didn't say to wait till it gets tacky. We folded the patch over on itself like the instructions said but I can't imagine this stuff sticking to anything. It had the consistancy of motor oil. Is this normal? Should we have waited some time before we applied the patch?
2. Is it normal for a patch to be temporary? I thought it should last for the life of the liner.
3. I went to the local pool store and talked to the biggest jerk there. I was thinking I would have somebody professional patch the pool and get it over with. He said they would have somebody with tanks patch the pool for 150 bucks and they wouldn't come till the water warmed up.
4. My wife managed to get another piece of tape over the hole with a long pole and a lot of patience that seems to be working for now.
5. I am open to suggestion. I don't know anything about vinyl patches except that they can be screwed up really bad by stupid people.