Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baracuda G3 diaphragm replacement - quality, vendor...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pearland, TX (Houston area)

Baracuda G3 diaphragm replacement - quality, vendor...

After 4 years with no problems, my Baracuda G3 stopped moving. I pulled the diaphragm out, and sure enough it has a couple small tears. My question is, how do I compare the quality of the various replacements, and what's the best source? Leslie's wants $47 for what I assume is a Zodiac-produced OEM replacement. Amazon has a dozen different replacements...some clear, some yellow, some white...ranging from $7.50 to $26. How do I determine which ones are truly the "long life" replacements, which ones are decent quality, and which vendors are reputable? (All of the Amazon reviews are 4+ stars, so they don't provide a differentiating factor.) Will the OEM really last 2-7 times longer than the Amazon versions?

16k gallon, 1.5hp Hayward Super II, 48 sqft DE filter using cellulose fiber, Pentair 320 in-line chlorine feeder, Barracuda G3, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sydney, Australia

Re: Baracuda G3 diaphragm replacement - quality, vendor...

a few years ago the patents on the baracuda ran out and this created a flood of generic parts onto the market, mostly from china. The Zodiac replacement ones have their logo stamped on the side and from what i have been told their manufacturing process has not changed only the colour. if you choose another brand just make sure it is still flexible in cold & hot water as the stiffness will need extra suction to make the diaphragm "snap" correctly.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.